hive top feeders (leaking and sealing)

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
dtompsett
Forum Regular

hive top feeders (leaking and sealing)

Unread post by dtompsett »

Allen, I think I asked about this before, but you weren't sure at the time.

In October 2010 you show another beekeeper's hive top feeders. (http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/2010/diary100110.htm) Do you have any idea what he is using to seal the seams, and do you know if it's working on the longterm?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: hive top feeders (leaking and sealing)

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I think I did know, but have now forgotten again. I suspect that they were using 'Liquid Nails' or a similar construction glue for assembly.

Some are rated for 'below grade' use and others are not, so choose one which can stand being submerged. Some such glues can be applied under water and still set!

Use the glue in a continuous bead, and in sufficient amount not to leave voids, but sparingly enough not to waste it.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
kaiiwihoneynz

Unread post by kaiiwihoneynz »

In New Zealand there is a couple of beekeeping supplies that sell one peice top feeder made of of plastic that hold nine ltrs
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Thanks. The reason these ones are particularly useful. is that they hold enough to feed most hives in one pass in fall, with room to spare.

I prefer two feeding passes, one early and one later, but some of these beekeepers have to drive several hundred miles to see some of their yards. The feeding window in time is fairly short and rain can make yards unreachable, so the ability to feed 50 to 60 pounds of feed in one visit is valuable.

9 litres is 2.4 US gallons. The 5 imperial gallon feeders shown in the picture hold about 23-1/2 litres or about 2-1/2 times as much -- if filled to the top. That is 65 lbs of heavy syrup if level and completely full.

With any top feeder, it is often impractical or unwise to fill closer than 2" from the top if there is any chance the bees may not take the feed, the hives are not level, or any chance that the feeder may need to be removed before it is consumed as they are hard to hold level and they will spill.

This two-inch unusable zone becomes increasingly significant in shallower feeders, since it limits the usable capacity. If a 6" high feeder hold 60 lbs, but the beekeeper usually avoids using 1/3 of its capacity, a 3" feeder used the same way loses 2/3 of the potential capacity.

The one problem with taller feeders, though, is the increased distance bees must walk. Bees hate to walk far.

What makes these particular feeders remarkable is how cheap and easy they are to make and the immense capacity for commercial use. It also just so happens that these are converted 6-5/8" supers which are available very cheaply knocked down and new.

FWIW, Mann Lake offers hive top feeders as well, but they also are shallower. See http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant ... een=page40
Forum owner/janitor
---
dtompsett
Forum Regular

Unread post by dtompsett »

The big problem I have is that I have quite a collection of hive-top feeders laying around... but they leak. Being the cheap guy I am, I would much rather invest in making these not leak... rather than buying new ones.

Until I get a chance to really sit down and try to seal one of them, I'll keep using frame feeders.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

How about laying plastic sheets inside the leaking hivetop feeders? That should work, and it is a quick and dirty solution.

I assume you know about baggie feeders? You could use baggies under inverted hivetop feeders in warm weather, but in cold weather there would be too much upward heat loss..
Forum owner/janitor
---