Interesting observation- Winter wraps, brood

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Interesting observation- Winter wraps, brood

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Being the bad beekeeper that I am, some of my hives did not get unwrapped until the day before yesterday when the temperature went into the upper 70s and bees were bearding on the outside of those hives. Entrance reducers were still on small, and an audible rush of air moving through them could be heard (by the bees inside attempting to cool).

My equipment is all 10 frame (double) deeps. Each of the hives that was still wrapped had massive amounts of brood and bees, with the broodnests stretching across 8 frames in at least one box of each hive.

In comparison, all of the hives that had had their wraps removed a month earlier, none of the broodnests extended beyond 6 frames and had lesser numbers of bees. (With the exception of the 4 box stack that had been combined because one hive had been found queenless- the queenless boxes were added on top of an inner cover that had the feed hole open, and a couple of frames of fresh brood added as an experiment- no queens available at the time, so nothing to lose by doing it.)

I suck at math, but off the top of my head I'd say that's a significant percentage increase in brood and build up. All of my other hives, always have had the two outside frames on each side full of stores, never having brood in positions (1)-2 and 9-(10).

I think I'll be leaving my wraps on later, from now on.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Interesting observation- Winter wraps, brood

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I have often recommended leaving lots of food on in fall and not unwrapping early.

A lot of beekeeper activity in spring is counterproductive. Early unwrapping is a good example. The time that wraps are most important for strong colonies is spring, and not so much winter.

Treating for varroa and feeding hungry colonies are important though. If wraps must be removed to do this, they should be replaced until the risk of serious frost is passed. That's usually mid-May where I live.

Strong, heavy hives need room to expand our they sometimes swarm out of the wraps, do the brood chambers over winter can be helpful.

Extra boxes can be removed at the first inspection but some colonies invariably will be occupying all three and that is a bonus that cannot occur unless the extra food and space is provided in fall.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello BBK,

I don't think you are not a bad beekeeper by what I read, just a bid slow and that is most of the time good with bees and I have the same feeling about late unwrapping.

On a side note, Allan, do you handle your EPS boxes the same way as wooden in regards of winter wrapping?

I lifted some empty EPS boxes and they are not light by weight and it makes me wonder what the R-value really is when compared with wood.

Cheers, hoe the cold is over now.

Joerg
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I don't know the R value but have compared heat loss to wood boxes and the EPS holds heat well in comparison. That test is at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/incl/bf1.htm
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page