Finally

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Tim
Forum Regular

Finally

Unread post by Tim »

I recently posted on the BEE-L board that for week my bees have been working the large amounts of flowers, but haven't been gaining in weight. Last year at this time I had tons of honey, but until this weekend there wasn't anything there. It's improving now, in fact it seems just like last year, but a month later. I still can't figure out what is going on, unless the drought last year made the overwintering population smaller, and they needed more time to build up.

But anyway, I'm back in the saddle and lovin' it!

Ian

Unread post by Ian »

Just itching to get going myself,

Unread post by Guest »

What part of the world are your bees in?
Ian

Unread post by Ian »

I beekeep up here in Mb Canada. It has been a very cold winter, hard on the bees. I got the chance to check them during this mild weather we are finally getting and observed about 22% losses. The ones that pulled through look very strong and might beable to make up splits for my losses, I guess time will tell.

Ian
Tim
Forum Regular

Unread post by Tim »

That's too bad. I also took much larger losses than I ever have, but the worst drought in memory weakened my bees, and some farmers with itchy trigger fingers when it comes to spraying were the chief culprits. Checkmite still seems to work OK here, so that's a relief.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm sorry to hear about your spray damage to your hives. But you must understand that they must spray their crop to control their pests. If not done, insects could make devistating damages, which could be the difference between proft making or bankruptcy. I know because I am faced with the same tough dicissions as they make when farming my land.
I do think though the crop farmer must respect our beekeeping industry aswell. I think so many of them don't understand the devistation they cause from their insectisidal spraying. I also think that so many of them don't know we are even in the area. It is our job as a beekeeper to educate them and be sure they know we are in their area. I think with a little education, and communication, alot of problems can be avoided.
Most people don't want to harm anothers business operations. So that means you also have to accept the farmers NEED to spray and deal with it.
I do..

Ian