Using Formic Acid

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
MikeB

Using Formic Acid

Unread post by MikeB »

Hello,
As this is my first post let me introduce myself. I apologize if there is an area for introductions or if I am asking a question which has already been answered.

I have been keeping bees for about 8 years and am located in the state of Indiana in the U.S.A
In the past I have tried various methods of varroa mite control with varying degrees of success. Cost is naturally a factor which I consider, but efficacy is also important. I have used the commercially prepared formic acid treatments and they are quite pricey. From some of my research it appears you can make your own with acid diluted to 65% and used to saturate pads. In the commercial ones like MAQS they recommend placing the treatment in the lower brood box. From some of the information I have gathered it appears people are using a vaporizing tray on the top of the hive. The vapors are heavier than air so in my mind they would sink. Also, the bees actively ventilate the hive. So, what I am asking is from your experience what is an effective method to make and apply your own formic acid treatment? Thank you.
ahmadh2o

Re: Using Formic Acid

Unread post by ahmadh2o »

I have used it a few times when i was in Turkey.
used about 30ml of formic acid with 65% purity and it was really effective.

The best part is that it deals with mites both on bees and in sealed cells.

The downside is that it is really temperature dependent and should not be used in hot temperatures as it could/will lead to high queen/brood mortality.
you could use some kind of a soft cloth or sponge that is put on top of the frames and then the solution amount is poured on it and it is then left for the duration of the treatment.

Hive entrance is kept open but upper ventilation is closed to allow the fumes to do its job at the required intensity.
Also it should not be used with honey supers on.
Here is a link with some details http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/foo ... atment.htm

Again, this is my experience with formic acid. use on your own discretion
ahmadh2o

Unread post by ahmadh2o »

Here is a document worth reading on the topic.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/pubs/ ... ations.pdf
honeypuppy

Unread post by honeypuppy »

You can use formic acid in any of the colony seasonal phases. They are less effective in the dormant phase. Use 2 biodegradable gel strips and stagger them on the top bars of the brood box. They work best between 10-29 degrees Celsius.
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Yes, using the commercial product is the recommended method. However, the OP was specifically asking about making his own. Doesn't matter,the OP has never returned since the day after he made his first and only post.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

I’m going with Formic Pro for my first ever attempt with it. 30C here today so waiting for cooler temps.
Beemaid Co-Op has sold Formic and the meat pads for several years up here. Don’t want to mess with that for my few hives.
Brian
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

I have the Pro as well, but I'm running triple deeps with supers at the moment, plus high temps. Goldenrod is in full bloom, I need to get two stacks of supers processed and back on hives.

I have more hives than I planned on having, all swarmed, all with first year queens and plenty of room and I managed to catch them all. They went from nucs to swarm in just over a month, never seen that happen before.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Formic pro seemed to work well. Did an inspection yesterday and all hives Queen-right. No excess mortality noted. I’ll use that product again.
Will do an OAV in October.
Brian
CaseyG

Unread post by CaseyG »

can you use formic pro for tracheal mites?
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

CaseyG wrote: August 26th, 2020, 11:09 am can you use formic pro for tracheal mites?
According to the manufacturer it should be effective for them as well as varroa.