Moving

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Marknbrtn2

Moving

Unread post by Marknbrtn2 »

I will be moving in a few weeks. The new house is only half a mile to a mile away. Do I need to move my bees to a location approximately 5 miles or so away to help the bees reorient? If so, how long do I need to leave the bees before moving back to my new home?

Thank you
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Moving

Unread post by Allen Dick »

You don't say where you live or what the weather's like. Without that information I can't really advise.

If you were here in central Alberta you could pick up the hive and move it anywhere you like then not worry about losing bees unless you did it on a really warm day.

When the weather is too cold for the beed to fly much it's not a worry to move the hives around. They won't return to the old site.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Marknbrtn2

I am in Tennessee in the USA. Our temp during the winter can range from 40 degrees f in the days down to 20 degree f at night or later this week the day temp willl be 68 degree f down to 50 degree f at night. There is such a swing in temperature that it can really be difficult to predict what to do when moving bees.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

If you are sure that the bees have not been flying much for three days you can just move them as you see fit. The future weather does not matter.

The times not to move randomly is when they are foraging freely. Foragers just fly out and back without any orienting. In slack times, the bees orient before each flight.

Bees memories fade after three inactive days. After that bees will remember the old stand and may buzz around it a bit, but they won't cluster there. They'll return to the new location.

For that matter if any bees do cluster until dark at the old site, just gather them up and dump them on the doorstep of the hive at dusk.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Marknbrtn2

Thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate the information you have given me.