Possible mouse in bee hive?

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
nshull

Possible mouse in bee hive?

Unread post by nshull »

I'm in northern Minnesota. My hives are winterized and it's rather cold here now (low 20's-teens) I was scooping out dead bees off the bottom board today and I noticed what looked like remenants of a possible mouse nest in one of the back corners. On the warmer days the bees in this particular hive are much more active coming out of the hive when my other hive only a couple bees will come in and out. They seem almost frantic or spooked by something. I have no way to be sure if there is a mouse in the hive or not. But at this point in the year with the temps being as cold as they are what can I do to figure out if there is in fact a mouse in the hive and what can I do to get rid of it? Is the only way opening the hive completely? I have several boxes on. I'm desperate for advice as this is only my second year beekeeping. Thank you!
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Possible mouse in bee hive?

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Can you tip the boxes back on the floor?

That allows you or a helper to look under. Do it when the bees are clustered and not flying like early morning or a cool day.

The other possibility is a shrew and they are harder to exclude. Shrews can kill a hive in no time. A sign will be bees on the floor with parts eaten
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page