All morning I dealt with small problems in the honey house and
around the place, but around three in the afternoon, I got into the Olds and
drove west towards Vancouver. The forecast for the weekend was cold and
wet, so I knew we would be off until at least Tuesday from lack of honey to
extract. I was pretty wrung out from all the small worries and really
needed to get away. I had no definite destination, but planned to visit
Brian for a while sometime during the tour. I had also in mind to go to
Salt Spring, and perhaps, Victoria.
At Big Hill Springs, I ran into heavy snow and thought seriously
of turning back, but around Cochrane, the snow turned to rain and from there on,
the roads were okay. I saw a little more snow at Scott Lake Hill, but the
sky was blue ahead, and when I got to Banff, the sky was clear. This year
is very different from last year when we
had staff working through the long weekend, and people quitting due to the high
temperatures and the pressure.
I drove as far as Kamloops and arrived around eleven PM.
All the cheap hotels were full when I got there, and by the time I drove around
searching, it seemed that all the motels and hotels had closed for the
night. By midnight, I was about to sleep in the car, but as I found a spot
to park and was about to go to sleep, I saw a Day's Inn and gave it a try.
It turned out that they had saved back one room and the people had not shown up,
so I got it. The bill came to $103, which is a lot to spend for six or
seven hours of sleep, but I took it and slept very well.
Today..Periods of rain. Wind southeast 20 km/h.
Tonight..Rain mixed at times with snow. Wind north 30 diminishing.
Low plus 1.
Normals for the period..Low 10. High 24.
Saturday..A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent
chance of showers. Wind becoming south 20. High 15.
I got up, had breakfast and drove to the coast. I arrived
at Tswassen around eleven and by then had figured out that taking any ferries
would involve waits or surcharges for reservations. I had planned to visit
Brian and Sandra on the way back from the islands, but decided to forget about
the ferries and give Brian a call. As it happened, he answered the phone
and said to come over. I drove over, and wound up staying for two days.
I had not forewarned anyone of my trip and possible visits,
since I wanted to travel light and free, and was not even sure I would get to
the coast. If I had felt like it along the way, I might have taken a
sudden right turn and wound up in Lilooet, or even The Cariboo. I could
just as easily have turned south and gone down to the Columbia River Gorge, on a
So I wound up at Brian's. He and Sandra and I spent the
afternoon walking on the beach, then the waterfront in downtown White
Rock. We returned to their place and had supper, and I stayed the night.
Sunday..60 percent chance of showers. Low 5. High
Sandy wanted to stay home and do some tidying, so Brian and I
decided to go out for the day. Our official destination was Lighthouse
Park and Dix, but we stopped by the Granville Market and got engrossed in the
activities there and it looked for a while as if we would never get to the park.
We did, however, get there and spent several hours enjoying the
walk down through the giant trees and sitting on the rocks. We then had
supper at Dix
(a clever version of 'Dick's'), a restaurant my brother built near the stadium
and called it a day.
Jodi has a swollen hand, so is off for the day. Drew is still
hobbling with his ankle sting and stayed home again.
Dennis & I worked on the quonset and got half the north side
We also took some boxes of broken combs to EE to be robbed of
Jean and Chris and the Meijers came for supper. Jean &
Chris stayed over.
Paulo and Kenton brought in 178 boxes and we have about 300 in
the shop now.
We are now only supering hives to 4 high, maximum, as is our
custom after August 8th
The extracting went well with Tim and Ren running two machines
each. This gets the maximum amount of honey out since the machines can run
longer. We are now putting the supers into storage and at current prices,
we don't want to leave any in the supers.
The output today was a bit light and I gather that the supers
were a bit lighter than sometimes.
We are leaving the supers out for robbing, since we still have
some granulation in them from when we were pollinating canola and it is a
Today..Sunny. Wind becoming northwest 20 km/h.
Tonight..Partly cloudy. Wind northwest 30 diminishing. Low 10.
Normals for the period..Low 9. High 23.