When to super

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
hak877
Forum Regular

When to super

Unread post by hak877 »

I wasn't able to find a post that provides objective guidance on when to start putting on honey supers, so here goes.

I purchased a mature colony in two boxes of drawn comb this spring. I had some significant mite issues and then queen issues. I have now got the mites taken care of and requeened, but they've got some catching up to do. I've heard various opinions on when to super, but most seem to be based on evaluating how much foundation has been drawn. As the comb in my brood boxes is already drawn, this isn't helpful to me. How do others estimate when to apply a honey super? Is it at a particular number of seams or frames of bees, amount of bees plus brood, something else?

For reference, I will be putting on a super of all new foundation as I am just starting out. I am located far enough into Edmonton that they are unlikely to be foraging on any farmed fields.

Thanks
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: When to super

Unread post by Allen Dick »

As with most things in beekeeping, all depends where you are.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
hak877
Forum Regular

Unread post by hak877 »

To add a bit more context, the canola around Edmonton is coming into bloom -- some fields are a full sea of yellow, while others aren't there yet. A contact at the EDBA whose bees can access these crops has started to super some of his strong colonies. However, my bees are too far away to access these crops, so they'll have to rely on clover, ornamentals, etc. within the city. It is my understanding that when to super is as much about the strength of the colony as it is the nectar flow. I'm more looking for insight as to how strong a colony should be before supering. Thanks.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page