Hive autopsy

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
slightmadness
Forum Regular

Hive autopsy

Unread post by slightmadness »

Lost one of theee hives this winter and I’m trying to figure out why. I believe that the poor bees starved to death. I didn’t take any honey this season as they started from nice in late May but this hives population had dramatically crashed in the fall and the cluster was so small I don’t think they could move to another frame once they had eaten all the home on their frame.

I’m trying to figure out if the small cluster is the result of a queenless colony or disease. I noticed in late sept/early October that there was no brood present in the hive and instead the bread comb was filled with a clearing liquid. (Could have been honey... could have been...??).

Anyway at that point it was too late to find another queen and I watched as the colony dwindled and finally died last week. :( I’m attaching a photo of the brood comb. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
C9992139-615F-452E-B470-153BF24FD56F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Re: Hive autopsy

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

I lack sufficient psychic ability to make a determination from your description and one small picture. I think you need to do more frequent inspections so you can keep up with what is going on in the hive.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I don't know where to start since we don't know your location or the origin of the colony -- or details of the other ones.

The comb shown is sagged and distorted and full of pollen suggesting it is from a cutout.
If you can give us a lot more information, we'll be happy to make suggestions.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Allen, in a December post, Slightmadness indicated they were on Long Island NY.
Asking about OA dribble.
I got nothing from the photo.
Brian
slightmadness
Forum Regular

Unread post by slightmadness »

Sorry yes I’m out on Long Island and it’s been cold but not excessive. I have much better pictures but the file size makes them too big to attach. Let me try again.

I’m not sure infrequent checking was the problem. I checked them every week-10 days over the summer. I think more likely is that I didn’t really know what I was looking for during my check ups as it’s my first season as a bee keeper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Slight madness, I see a lot of stored pollen but no capped honey. Your assessment of starvation is possibly correct, (probably?).
Did you grab enough dead bees to have a sample analyzed?
I didn’t see signs of mite frass but might have been because there were no pics of empty brood comb. What did the empty comb look like?
Brian