Chlorothalonil

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Chlorothalonil

Unread post by Countryboy »

Allen posted an interesting article in the diary about a study finding that bees prefer syrup laced with chlorothalonil at certain concentrations.
http://mailchi.mp/americanbeejournal/ja ... tudy-finds

What was it, back in 2014 they linked chlorothalonil to hive collapses? It got swept under the carpet.

Back then, they found that entombed pollen contained chlorothalonil...and hives with a lot of entombed pollen collapsed and died. Prior to making that link, scientists had always maintained that chlorothalonil was harmless to honeybees. (Gee, what was Allen just saying in the diary about science sometimes being little more than basically a WAG?)

Chlorothalonil is one of the most common fungicides used in the US. And guess where one of the heaviest concentration of use is? You guessed it, California's central valley. Hmm. Stationary beekeepers usually don't have issues with colony collapse, but migratory beekeepers do. Hmm. And where do all those migratory beekeepers go? California's central valley.

2 + 2 folks...

It's gotta be the NEONICOTINIODS!

(IMO, neonics are a smokescreen to divert attention away from chlorothalonil.)
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Re: Chlorothalonil

Unread post by BDT123 »

Country, I guess it's not just Honeys with a problem.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 195041.htm
Looks like the Bumbles have some serious issues too.
Article isn't directly related to the adjuvant, but to Chlorothalonil
Sorry, posted this in previous OSS thread too.
Best regards,
Brian
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I posted a reply in the other thread too.
Looks like the Bumbles have some serious issues too.
Try looking at facts, instead of getting caught up by emotional keywords.

They are trying to make it sound like all bumblebees and honeybees are endangered. However, the rusty patched bumblebee is the only one that is endangered. (There are also some yellow faced bees in Hawaii on the endangered list, but their native range was only about 2 square miles to begin with.)

And there aren't enough rusty patched bumblebees left to do much studying on, so it's extremely dishonest to bring up rusty patched bumblebees into a conversation about the effects of chlorothalonil on honeybees and bumblebees.

They are trying to conflate endangered rusty patched bumblebees with non-endangered honeybees and bumblebees, and I don't like it.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Not caught up in any key words. Not susceptible to that, just that the article is worthy of discussion.
Maybe the adjuvants are a part of the toxicity problem.
No apparent losses of bumblebees round my place. Seems like only Bumbles visit our gardens and the Honeys go for the clover and Sweet clover further out.
I keep a few 'small bee' nests around and there is no shortage of them here.
Maybe because of limited or no use of herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, and adjuvants. No Ag within 2 miles of me, and then that is mostly hay. Perfect!
Lots of roadside clovers that I have to convince the County to only mow once a year. Tough battle.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

It sure sounded like you were caught up by emotional keywords when you said it looked like the Bumbles were having serious issues too, citing an article that was trying to make it sound like all bumblebees (and by default honeybees) are endangered because of chlorothalonil.

No shortage of bumblebees around my area either. I'm near the terminal moraine of the Ice Age glaciers. Where the glaciers stopped is locally known as The End of the World because it is just big hills of rock and gravel and trees and hardly anyone lives there because it is such harsh terrain. I have bees in the glaciated flat farmland, bees down at the End of the World, (zero ag) and bees on the unglaciated rolling hills south of the terminal moraine with smaller, mainly livestock farms. I see lots of bumblebees in all locations. (Although I don't think I have ever seen a rusty patched bumblebee, even when I was a kid, and this is supposed to be its native range.)

I used to help a farmer. We used ApronMaxx fungicide on soybeans.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Bumblebees have other issues, too. Apparently, according to an expert who presented locally some time back (Can't recall his name), bumblebees carry quite a load of parasites. Nonetheless, they carry on and are amazing to watch.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-buzz-be ... -troubles/
Well, we do go round and round in this bee-centric world.
Sorry if this is a repeat from Allen or others.
Brian