9 frames in a 10 frame brood box

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
woodsdirt

9 frames in a 10 frame brood box

Unread post by woodsdirt »

I'm located in central Alabama and have just started bee keeping a few weeks ago with two nucs. I am using 10 frame deep supers for the brood boxes and I'm concerned when I pull the frames to inspect the progress that I might accidentally injure the queen because the frames are so tight together. I have added a second brood box to one of the hives and will probably add the second box to the other hive this week. I have seen on the internet that some folks use only 9 frames to a box in lieu of 10 and I have seen a 9 frame spacer tool that you can order. Will the bees build in the extra space between the frames? How do some of you feel regarding 9 frames in a 10 frame box?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: 9 frames in a 10 frame brood box

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I have used both 9 and 10 frames in a standard box and as far as I could ever tell the bees did not care in the least. You may care though if the frames are not properly spaced, because the bees will build extra come in between. If you space them right, no problem. You don't need a tool to space them but it can help. All you need to do is make sure all the spaces are pretty well equal.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page