Broodminder

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Biermann
Forum Regular

Broodminder

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello All,

Today was my lucky day (in a way) because my 5 Broodminder arrived. Explanation about thus little wonders are right here http://broodminder.com/#Model42.

Because of some shipping problem, I will, should have more than I need and can sell 4 or 5. I am waiting for pricing from the inventor and will sell them for cost, probably around CAD58 each plus shipping.

Anyone interested, please send me a pm. If more than one show interest I will go 'first come, first served' and one per interested person.

All the best, Joerg
Biermann
Forum Regular

Re: Broodminder

They are all gone now or installed.

Joerg
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

So, how is it going?
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Biermann
Forum Regular

Hello Allen, I am away in the Caribbean till late Jan. and will report when I am back. Some strong winds, 35-45kn, today, so sailing is off till it goes down a little.

If my hives survive the winter, it would be for the Broodminders, more when i am back in detail.

Cheers, hope it warms up for you guys, Joerg
Biermann
Forum Regular

All-ride Allen,

I am back home after two wonderful weeks in paradise (except for the cost of living in paradise. I have never been hosed that good!).

Broodminders: I have three hives, each with two standard boxes. Two have 2 broodminders, one on top, center of B1 (the bottom) and one top center on B2. One hive has only one broodminder on B1.

My boxes have 2" polystyrene on the long side glued on, year-around, 2" on the short sides attached for winter only. I have special winter lids, that fit over the larger surface with 2" polystyrene in it and 1/4" plywood between the PS and the frames. Exhaust vents in the center with a piece of 1 1/8 poly pipe and a slide cover, normally 3/8" open. The hives are then wrapped in poly bubble wrap and black HD poly film. 1 1/2" x 3/8" entrances.

Okay. You may recall that I asked for advise about syrup running out of my hives and I believe my problems started then already, in October.

I installed 3gallon pails with 2:1 syrup on the hives in October. The hives were in top notch condition, lots of bees and still coming home with pollen and nectar and I did not weigh them, cause I thought 'more is better'. I noticed syrup running out of the bottom board. Then I checked the weight and they were good and heavy, but when I think about it, I believe my bees were strangely decimated and I assume that the must have swarmed without noticing it, because of lack of room and me. dripping bloody syrup on their heads.
Now, since then I can not get the temperature up inside the hive. The highest temperature I have had over the winter is now, 13°C with 73% humidity. Without the broodminder, I would not know any of this and as I said on Jan 11th, if they survive, it will be for the broodminders telling me what is inside, without opening the lid.
I have had minus degrees inside the hive!

Cheers, Joerg