Missing foundation

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Clammer

Missing foundation

Unread post by Clammer »

I recently added a super to a very busy hive that I assumed needed more room. I used brand new foundation. Upon retuning after several days , the super I added had only the wooden frames, no foundation. It was all gone. I never experienced this before. Can anyone explain? Thanks
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Missing foundation

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Wax foundation? There was no trace left?

Location?
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Clammer

Unread post by Clammer »

No trace of any wax. Super under the empty one full of capped honey. I'm located in Quogue NY. Out on the end of Long Island
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

My guess is that you thought there was foundation in that super and put one you had not yet finished on the hive. There is no other plausible explanation that I can think of.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello Clammer,

Maybe try to update your location so it appears in your personal info on the right. If you just want to say 'Long Island, NY' that's fine, but then we know where you are and don't ask a thousand question that don't bring anything.

Anyway, this 'missing foundation' thing has happened to me this year too. We are talking about the wax on plastic foundation on previously drawn comb, I hope. I found lots of shredded wax on the bottom board of one hive, B1, in this case while B2 had nice brood, stored honey and pollen. Only several frames had the wax removed and I know that it had could drawn comb coming out of the winter with honey. My apiarist I use for info and help thought I could have a mouse in the brood box, but no sign off it, no mouse droppings or such. This was in early April with a 3/8x1" reducer. Now the bees have rebuild all frames and all is good.

Who knows why they sometimes do what they do. I have given up on explaining everything since they are doing it for millions of years and have well survived.

Cheers, Joerg
eltalia
Forum Regular

Unread post by eltalia »

"Anyway, this 'missing foundation' thing has happened to me this year too. We are talking about the wax on plastic foundation on previously drawn comb, I hope."

When Clammer wrote "only wooden frames" I reckon that is exactly what he meant, Joerg. Which makes Allen's conclusion the best guess as Clammer has not returned to clarify. Maybe a "senior moment" in figuring which box was put where, I reckon :-)

Anyway, just reading through some older threads I found this and offer what you see with plastic cored foundation is not at all new news, at least not to me. Back when I did use it the answer was "dip all your frames before
using".. figure why I and many others ceased using the stuff.
I did keep using plastic end bars for a while but in the end the number of frames not filled to the bar- dipping the bars made little consistent difference - became a problem so I ceased using those also.
Hope that helps you out some.

Cheers.

Bill
ASK not what your bees can do for you.
ASK what your bees cannot do for you.