Yellow Jackets

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
jroach454

Yellow Jackets

Unread post by jroach454 »

I finally found the yellow jacket hive in my neighbors yard after it has been reaking havoc on my hives all autumn. We are killing the yellow jacket hive tonigh at dark. I have had to close up my hives multiple times this year for 24hrs to prevent robbing. Yesterday I opened up a hive I got for free that swarmed into a old hive he had next to his garden. I pulled a frame and the burr comb on the bottom ripped and honey dripped everywhere inside of the hive and triggered some robbing along with the yellow jackets returning in great numbers. I closed up the hive and wondered what is the longest any has kept a hive closed up because of robbing. And i use screen not the entrance reducer.
Biermann
Forum Regular

Re: Yellow Jackets

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello joach 454,

Good you got them. Would be nice to know your location.

Cheers, Joerg
VanceG
Forum Regular

Unread post by VanceG »

I still see an occasional yellow jacket and it amazes me how tough they are as it has been well below freezing a half dozen times. One was bothering me while I was fighting with a broken boat along the Missouri river and in the high forties it was still fast enough I couldn't get it as it kept banging into my face.

I still have some hives to wrap as I am waiting for the plastic I ordered to make more. Too windy outside to even think about wrapping hives today!
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

VanceG wrote:I still have some hives to wrap as I am waiting for the plastic I ordered to make more. Too windy outside to even think about wrapping hives today!
We're getting your wind Vance. Right now it's 50km/h out of the south, and we are expecting between 90 and 110 km/h later today. I'm hoping my wrapping is strong enough to withstand it.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
VanceG
Forum Regular

Unread post by VanceG »

THe wind howled yesterday afternoon and last night until I was reminded how the wind literally drove the homesteaders on these plains raving mad. I being mostly there am pretty well immune to that. Woke up to calm and a few inches of snow this morning.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Not particularly windy here and only a mere touch of snow, now gone.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

VanceG wrote:THe wind howled yesterday afternoon and last night until I was reminded how the wind literally drove the homesteaders on these plains raving mad. I being mostly there am pretty well immune to that. Woke up to calm and a few inches of snow this morning.
We got that wind around 9:00pm and it started to rain with snow mixed in. The wind made the rain sound like hail when it hit the windows. Woke this am. with no snow and the ground barely wet. But it is getting cold now with a bitter NW wind.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino