Finding a rural home for 60 hives?

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Metropropolis
Forum Regular

Finding a rural home for 60 hives?

Unread post by Metropropolis »

A friend is looking for a rural location where he can put 60 hives. He's an experienced beekeeper, but relatively new to Canada, and lacks contacts. I'd like to help him, but as a small-scale urban, this is far outside my area.

How does one go about finding such a location?

Is it even advisable to put so many hives in one location on someone else's land?

Any advice appreciated,
Metropropolis in Calgary.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Finding a rural home for 60 hives?

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I have 150 hives on my property every spring. A smaller number is probably advisable, however I have had up to 2000 on the same location and I know of commercial beekeepers in the United States who keep thousands in yards.

Ideally, in my mind, about 25 to 40 is ideal. With greater numbers, robbing can become an issue at some times of the year and in some locations.

To obtain a yard, simply drive through the country and take note of places where you think you would like to put bees, keeping in mind access, neighbors, and any other issues that might come up.

Then simply find out who owns the land by asking around and approach the owner.

Surprisingly, most people say yes if you sound as if you know what you are doing. They may need some reassurance about their fears, but as simple honest approach usually satisfies them.

In compensation give the land owner a bucket of honey each year. In most cases that is all there is to it.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Metropropolis
Forum Regular

Unread post by Metropropolis »

Much appreciated, Allen.

The issue of hive-density is a minor concern, but moreso I'd be worried about having so many eggs in one basket, and potential inconvenience due to the landowner having a change of heart, selling the land, etc.

I'm not sure I understand the quid-pro-quo here. I understand a landowner allowing a few hives on a goodwill basis, and more for pollination, but it strikes me as a tall order to ask someone to accept 60 hives on their property. Aside from a bucket of honey, what's the value proposition for the landowner?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Most country people like to have interesting things to look at and also to help others.

Usually beekeepers chose a location which is on an unused corner or other wasted part of a quarter section. In 160 acres, that small footprint is insignificant to most landowners.

The one thing to watch out for, though, is that spots with trees are usually low areas and are not farmed because they get flooded. Even if that does not happen, cold air accumulates in such places and bees do poorly.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page