Roundup

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
TWall
Forum Regular

Roundup

Unread post by TWall »

Allen,

It can take up to a week to see the effects of Roundup. The only concern I have from what you described was if the weeds were green when you sprayed them. If they were brown it probably was not taken up.

I like to use roundup in a little hand-pump garden sprayer. If you keep the pressure low and the droplet size large drift will be almost non-existent. For really close work you can go to a small stream and spray close to non-target plants.

I have some wild daylilies growing in my flower beds with cultivated days lilies. I could dip everything up and start over. I am going with a roundup application to the individual plants I want to kill. I have put some roundup on a shop towel and rub a little on the target plants.

Tom
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Roundup

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Thanks. I used a one-gallon hand sprayer, and I am seeing a little yellowing now.

I also bought a small (3-foot) boom sprayer with a bar that I have never used, intending it for strips where I might plant trees or bushes

My worry is that I have not been able to find a clear description of how safe Roundup is near mature cargana, lilacs, honeysuckles, etc. and how much of a sucker has to be sprayed near poplars to kill the main tree accidentally. Poplars are known to put out runners underground and a little tree many feet from a mature tree may be attached by roots.

As with many things, it takes years of care to grow something, but only a moment of carelessness or ignorance to kill it.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
TWall
Forum Regular

Unread post by TWall »

Allen,

Most established perennials are pretty safe this time of year. Most transport in the plant is up and not down towards the roots. Perennials typically take multiple applications in the fall, often over subsequent years, to kill them. This is the problem I have had with my daylily example. Plants treated last summer are somewhat stunted but, not dead.

Tom
Allen Dick
Site Admin

A week later, I see almost no effect from my Roundup application.

Maybe I used it too sparsely, or the droplets were too fine?

Does Roundup expire? This jug is maybe ten years old.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Different strengths and formulations have a different rate of burn down. I had an antique bottle of roundup that I dumped in a hand sprayer and filled with water. The never protected from freezing concentrate was way strong and in ten days the weeds under my boat are browned off. My farmer friend who admits how little he pays for roundup by the 55 gallon drum applies roundup minutes before his brother follows with the seeder. The plants once contacted by the chemical are dead even though almost immediately covered with dirt from the tillage equipment. I just bought a lifetime supply gallon from the farm store with 50% active ingredient instead of the home stores tiny percentage. I love roundup and am old enough to remember the truly nasty poisons that were in widespread use that it replaced. Thanks for fixing my password problems.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I am using a one-litre bottle of Roundup Super Concentrate' with 356g/L and costing $50 at some point years ago. It is to be mixed 50:1 and now that I look, it says 'visible symptoms of control will occur within 3 days with complete kill in 2-4 weeks'.
Forum owner/janitor
---