Loss of pets

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Loss of pets

Unread post by Vance G »

Sorry about your old cat but it went well for all concerned. I have a 12 year old Lab who has no meat left in his legs front or back and though trim still wobbles along terribly. I sure hope he can call me to pet him while he dies but I am so afraid that instead, his legs will fail and I will have to face a grim reality. I cannot carry an 80 pound dog up and down the stairs into the house without hurting one or both of us for very long. I would be so thankful if I got out of it the way you did.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Loss of pets

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I was very lucky with this cat and also my old dog, years back.

I was without a dog for many years, and actually got Zippy for Ellen, but Ellen never did understand dogs.

Anyhow,that dog, Heart, when he got old, went silly for a week or two and seemed to think he was some other neighbourhood dog. He'd go lie in various local dogs' favourite places until he got chased off. (Dogs ran free then, and Zippy does to this day).

Then, one day,Heart laid down and died, just like that!
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

You two guys are fortunate in the sense that you got or will get a chance to bury your pets and say goodbye. Whereas here where we've lived out in the country for 30 some years we never find their bodies. They just disappear, I think it is either Coyotes or Owls with the cats and short tempered farmers with the dogs. You can't blame the farmers or the predators but it leaves an emptiness that never seems to go away.
Colino
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

In the past two years I have gone from 2 dogs and 2 cats to 1 cat. I think I am done with owning pets. They are a great pleasure but also a burden in ways. For one I do not need a pet sitter when I leave my bees so I will call them my pets when the last cat goes.

Sorry about Amos Allen.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Ellen always had cats and Amos was her cat. He attached himself to me, too, though. We had mutual respect and he was a good companion.

Losing this cat affected me far more than I expected. For one thing, I feel less compelled to go home.
Losing Amos gives me another degree of freedom, but "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose".(courtesy Kris Kristofferson)

I did not get another dog after Heart died for the same reasons, but seeing as Ellen was always home and having deer problems, I figured that a dog would work out again. She went through another before Zip, but that one just ran away one day. Then we got Zippy, but Ellen did not understand dogs, so Zippy was always my dog and still is.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page