Covid vaccination

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Bob Nelson
Forum Regular

Covid vaccination

Unread post by Bob Nelson »

As a First Responder I was in first group to get my vaccination yesterday. My experience is no side effects at all. I received the Pfizer vaccine and will have a second in 3 weeks.

There continues to be more than a few declining the vaccine which I can understand. I hope their reluctance wanes with enough experiences like mine. I hope this vaccine development and fast tracking teach us something about liability fear mongering and bureaucratic layers to get things done. This last sentence was probably not necessary and I hope it does not distract from my point of sharing.

Bob Nelson
Norfolk, NE USA
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Covid vaccination

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Good to hear. Thanks.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

I will be banging on the door as soon as they tell me it's my turn. Too many stupid people in my neck of the woods, there was a big outbreak at my job. I'm glad I took the lay-off, I knew they wouldn't be able to keep it out of there.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

As it stands now, I'll likely be at the front of the line but the news could change. I'll decide when I am offered the chance.

Initial reports are all fluff but AFAIK, the vaccines have not been tested on old folks like me and the efficacy numbers are pure fantasy. We have had a few bad reactions right off the bat, and these are the ones we know about. The second dose is reportedly more inclined to be nasty.

I'm also keeping my eye on ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine as fall-back treatments. Both have good efficacy if applied properly and with the correct ancillary products. I have outlined this in the diary and will repeat one very thorough article here for ease of reference.

https://filiperafaeli.substack.com/p/ye ... ntifically

And some further data on the chance it saves someone's life.

https://c19study.com/#early
https://c19ivermectin.com/

As I have said, I carry HCQ and azithromycin with me when I travel and take zinc and vitamin D as well. I don't trust doctors to be any smarter than the average plumber. Some are brilliant and attentive and some are just getting by. It is a matter of luck who is on duty when you come in.

http://www.leonklein.com/project/covid-treatments/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum owner/janitor
---
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

I worked in a virus lab for a couple of years, and I can say with certainty that none of those things is going to do a lick of good against *any* virus. Got lupus or malaria? Take your HCQ. Got scabies, lice, heartworm or 'blindeye' worm? Ivermectin is for you. Got a bacterial infection? Take your Z-pack. But none of those are good for Covid or any other virus.

Older folks *have* been studied for the vaccine, it's the children for which we lack data. That's why the older folks here in the US are among the first scheduled to get vaccinated, and younger folks are lower on the list.

I am truly appalled at the amount of misinformation that is being spread, and the number of people who believe it. I knew this was going to be bad when I saw the reports of the Chinese government trying to silence the doctors who were raising the alarm, back in January. And I am angered to the point where I could go to jail if I expressed my true feelings about the bungling of the US government in the handling of this crisis.

This was largely preventable, if it had been handled correctly from the start. On a number of forums I warned people to take a lesson from the 'Spanish Flu' epidemic, but no one listened.

Frankly, I think that there are a whole bunch of people who should be dragged out of their government offices, tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail...and one in particular who should have a halyard tied to his balls and be hauled up a flagpole.

If it were only the stupid people who died I might be a bit more callous and say it could be beneficial, from an evolutionary perspective. But that isn't the case.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Great post. I think if the legislators and public employees had their pay suspended until this is resolved we would not be where we are now.

(Note, though, for Trump haters, he donates all his pay back to the government less a dollar which he is compelled to take.)

And, as for the ivermectin and HCQ, azithromycin, vitamin D, and zinc, etc... I don't think anyone is claiming these potions act against the virus, but rather that they reduce the effects and alter the body's response.

Of course, I don't know, and there are always a lot of cranks out there.

However, from what I see, either the increasing number of studies suggesting these are useful are as fake as the recent US election results in some states or there is something to them. No one is claiming a cure or panacea. People still get sick and a few die, but far fewer. The size of the individual studies is problematic, but when the number of positive studies is considered statistically, and there are no credible negative studies, the power is increased sufficiently to achieve fairly high confidence..

We do know the 'studies' used against the treatments are not credible and in a number of cases deliberately set up to fail. I have not seen one credible study denying the efficacy.

I'll be watching these things and keep them at hand and hope to never need to use them.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Let me remind readers that I am a skeptic's skeptic and believe almost nothing, but I do have to have working assumptions. I confess, though, that I'm attached to some more than others.

I came across the HCQ from a nurse who sailed with me and had been deathly ill herself with the worst pneumonia ever back in November? 2019 and only managed to recover after taking HCQ, zinc, and azithromycin. In fact, she gave me the HCQ. My Mexican dentist prescribed the azithromycin. Zinc is non-prescription. I carry them with me.

Anyhow, believe this or not, I recommend reading the preprint and the comment section below. It could save your life. Or not.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202007.0025/v1
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Here is a link to the recommendations of the FLCCC FWIW.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-cont ... NGLISH.pdf

I don't know about the prophylactics use. I'm not a big fan of eating lots of pills, but if I was living with or caring for someone infected, I might see differently.

As with any drug, there can be side effects and sometimes serious ones so taking anything without a good reason is a crapshoot...
Forum owner/janitor
---
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

I am fully vaxxed. Although I have been mostly 'hiding' and living as a hermit, I have had to go out a number of times to look for a job I don't want, in order to keep my unemployment coming (I was laid-off in Mar 2020). Ironically, just a couple of weeks before my UC would end, it would appear that I got infected with Covid...I'm 99+% convinced of it.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of getting lax with masking. We had 'guidance' suggesting that vaxxed people didn't need to mask, I knew better, but I didn't want to feel 'out of place'. It was stupid because I knew GD well that the anti-mask/vax people would use that as an excuse to go unmasked as well, and you can't tell who is carrying and who isn't.

I visited just over a half-dozen establishments over two days. In only one place was anybody masked (two employees). Despite keeping my distance from other people, within two or three days I became ill. Prior to this, I have not been ill in the slightest since I have been in isolation, nor has my wife. Within a similar time frame, my wife became ill as well. Clearly, I picked it up and then gave it to my wife. After nearly three weeks, almost all of my symptoms have faded except for a persistent headache. My wife is improving at about the same rate, two or three days behind me.

The good news, and the bad news: we have both tested 'negative' twice, first with the PCR test, and subsequently with the Binax antigen test. What's good about this? The 'good' is that, clearly, our viral load was so low that it couldn't be detected by either of the tests, and it is unlikely that we had a viral load high enough to be able to transmit the infection to anyone else. Despite the apparent low risk of having transmitted the infection, I informed the people with whom I had been in contact that I had likely been infected and warned them to be alert for symptoms, particularly my neighbors with whom I am close and had visited, one of which is severely compromised (even more than I am). Also good, is that I have not required hospitalization, though troubling symptoms remain even nearly three weeks later. I am extremely 'high-risk' due to medical conditions that include high blood pressure, COPD, and a congenital birth defect that left a hole between the left and right sides of my heart. The vaccine has done the job it was designed to do, in the face of my severe lapse in judgement vis a vis masking and distancing. As a bonus, current evidence indicates that infection plus vaccine appears to confer an even greater degree of protection against future infection with not only the Delta variant, but also with previous Corona virus variants and potential future variants.

Now, the bad news: Because my illness was not confirmed through testing to be Covid, I cannot be 100% certain of my status inre: future infection, but the possibility of my having been infected by any other disease is vanishingly small. The fact that symptoms remain nearly three weeks in is troubling, I could be subject to as yet unknown future complications. The vax may have kept me from dying immediately, but it is possible that my stupidity in ignoring masking, due to vanity, may result in future issues.

We have the tools to conquer this disease- distancing, masking, vaxxing...but they will only work if everyone gets on board. Masking does not kill you by saturating you with CO2, the average lung capacity is six liters, the amount of CO2 retained in a mask can be measured in milliliters, well within the range of compensation by increased respiration, this is a non-issue. The vax does not make you magnetic. The vax or the disease has nothing to do with 5G telephony. The vax does not give you Covid. Your chances of a deadly reaction to the vax are less than one in a million, while your chances of dying from a Covid infection are about 1 in 300 (average, odds increase with age and/or co-morbidities). Current information indicates that the pancreas may be particularly affected by Covid, as indicated by a significant increase (+ 400%) of diagnosis of diabetes in pediatric Covid patients.

People need to stop being stupid. The vast majority of people who are filling hospitals are unvaxxed. The vast majority of people dying from Covid are unvaxxed. Stop listening to people who have no clue about what they are reading about VAERS and other reporting, people who have zero experience with epidemiology. Look at what is happening in the Real World. Hospitals are having to resort to what they call 'crisis care'- meaning, that they have to ration care based on who they think will survive and who they think will not survive, and allocate their resources to those who they think are likely to make it. Even worse, is the fact that some hospitals are discussing resorting to what they call 'de-allocation'.

De-allocation sounds fairly innocuous. But, what it means, is that patients who are deemed to have a low chance of survival are removed from care and allowed to die, in favor of patients who have a greater chance of making it. This is not a joke, this is not a hoax. We are facing a deadly disease that is killing a lot of people, more than 677,000 excess deaths in the US alone. We have already exceeded the number of deaths from the Spanish Flu epidemic, which provided us with the information that we needed to use to combat this one...if people had been willing to pay attention.

This stupidity, the politicization, is disgusting. I am a registered Republican voter, and I always have been. I favor small government with minimal intrusion in the lives of citizens, I am a firm believer in the Right To Keep And Bear Arms and I do so on a daily basis (and have used my weapons to protect myself and others). But this is ridiculous. People clamoring about 'mah freedumbs' and claiming to be 'patriots'? You are not 'patriots'. Patriots are people who make sacrifices and give their lives in the effort to protect the lives of citizens who cannot or will not defend themselves. Patriots are those of us who sacrificed our lives and/or bodies to [try to] protect our fellow citizens. Patriots are those doctors and nurses who have put their own lives and health at risk to continue to fight this insidious disease in spite of a certain determination of some people to ignore it.

You are not 'patriots', you are traitors, traitors to yourself and to your fellow citizens. Even (if possible?) worse, are certain 'Christian' groups who oppose masking and vaxxing. Your religion is predicated on love for your fellow man, but your actions show you to be selfish and uncaring. The anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are killing other people with their idiocy. If you were only killing yourselves, I wouldn't care, collect your Darwin and/or Herman Cain award and we'd be done with you. But this isn't the case, your bullsquaddle is killing people who are not able to decide for themselves, or protect themselves.

I served in the (US) Army. I lost an eye and was crippled in several other permanent ways. I have a bunch of ribbons and oak-leaf clusters to show for it...I thought it was worth it, until now. This pretentious posturing by 'arm-chair warriors' sickens me. You are not patriots. You are traitors, terrorists, and mass murderers. If I could shoot you myself, I would. And if anyone personally reveals themselves to me to be an anti-mask/vaxxer they had better hope that my interest in self-preservation overcomes my desire to inoculate them with a .45 caliber pill that is certain to cure them of *all* their ills.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

https://www.kitco.com/news/2021-10-18/F ... tions.html

Former U.S. Secretary of State Powell dies of COVID-19 complications

He was fully vaccinated, his family said in a statement on Facebook.

I have to ask, what is the difference between dying of Covid, and dying of Covid complications? There has to be a difference, otherwise they would not be making a distinction, especially with the media, as they would not include the word "complications" in headlines to save space.

Could the "complications" be that he had an adverse reaction to the Covid vaccine?
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Ironically, I saw another article a little while later saying that anti-vaxxers were using Colin Powell as evidence that the vaccines don't work. They tried saying the real problem was that he hadn't had his 3rd vaccine shot yet. LMAO

Last winter, my cousin caught Covid at work, but was asymptomatic and didn't have any symptoms. (He was later tested when he donated blood and found to have antibodies from having Covid.) However, his wife caught it from him, and 3 of the kids they adopted had it. Another foster girl (Katy) who is 16 or 17 never got sick, even though she was in the same house with everyone else who had Covid. We all assumed that she had just been asymptomatic.

I guess Katy wasn't feeling well, and my cousin's wife took her to Urgent Care on Saturday. They tested her for Covid and said she did not have it.
Yesterday I stopped over to my cousin's house in the evening. I talked to Katy for probably 5 minutes about her pet snake. (I had caught a couple half grown mice in some bee boxes a couple weeks before, and had given them to her to feed the snake. She told me the snake had ate both mice, but hadn't been hungry for several days after that.) I didn't even know Katy was sick. She seemed fine to me.

Today, my cousin's wife texts me. The doctor at Urgent Care called them to tell them that Katy has Covid. The doctor said he had been given the wrong person's test results when he had told them before that she didn't have it. (How does that even happen?)

I told my cousin's wife that it was good that Katy hadn't been trying to kiss me, because I might have caught something nasty, like cooties.

I usually try to take a Vitamin C and Vitamin D pill every day, but I took a Zinc pill with my vitamin pills just to be on the safe side.
I went to town and did some shopping at Lowe's and WalMart. None of the other shoppers were wearing masks. As always, I didn't wear a mask either.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Countryboy wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:45 am https://www.kitco.com/news/2021-10-18/F ... tions.html

Former U.S. Secretary of State Powell dies of COVID-19 complications

He was fully vaccinated, his family said in a statement on Facebook.

I have to ask, what is the difference between dying of Covid, and dying of Covid complications? There has to be a difference, otherwise they would not be making a distinction, especially with the media, as they would not include the word "complications" in headlines to save space.

Could the "complications" be that he had an adverse reaction to the Covid vaccine?
No, Powell's problem was that he had very little reaction to the vaccine at all. He had cancer and was severely immunocompromised. In his case, he did not get the response that most of the rest of us get- just as with the flu vax, when we feel crappy for a few days afterward, it is the sign that our body has responded to the vax and is priming the immune system to respond to the real thing if it should encounter it. Having already been primed, the immune system is ready to respond at the first signs of an invading virus and take immediate action against it, clobbering it *before* it can build up to a level that can make us sick. When a person whose immune system is compromised does not get the 'normal' response to a vax, it means that his system has not recognized the 'foreign' material and is therefore not primed to recognize the real thing when it sees it, the vaccine simply does not work for them. We must remember that, in the entire history of medicine, there has not been any 'treatment' which is 100% effective for 100% of the people.

If we could design treatments that were 100% effective *all* of the time, we could solve a lot of problems, including our problems with varroa mites on bees. Unfortunately, this is not likely to occur in the foreseeable future.
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Countryboy wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:45 am
There isn't really a difference, some people just just choose different terminology based on their understanding, or lack thereof, or simply because they have some other reason for attempting to manipulate a particular response from people.

Covid doesn't quite kill all by itself. Covid attacks nearly all of the body's functions and organs- lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, brain, pancreas, blood vessels, etc. One of the primary issues, being a respiratory virus, is that it can attack the lungs severely, resulting in pneumonia and blood clots. In addition to attacking the other organs, the lung issues result in oxygen deprivation to the other organs, which compromises them even further. Eventually, the combination of damages results in death, regardless of the extraordinary measures against it (intubation and ventilation, ECMO, etc.)

Which 'cause' of death do you list? It's difficult to pin the blame on any one organ system failure (though some do state 'Covid pneumonia') so, to make it easy, you just say 'Covid complications'.

Now, what some people don't understand, is that even if you 'recover' from Covid, and by that I mean only that you don't die from it, they are finding that some 30% to 40% of the people who recover suffer from long-term and even potentially permanent damage to major organs. There was a time when people were saying that kids couldn't get or spread Covid, or, if they did get it, they would recover without any issues or complication. It is now obvious that this is not even remotely correct. In the south, where vaccination rates were poor and people resisted the other measures meant to reduce the spread of Covid, pediatric diabetes cases (Type 1) have risen by nearly 500%- the single link in these cases was that the children all had Covid. These children are now doomed to a lifetime of insulin dependence (and the expense of that).

This disease is no laughing matter, and the death toll alone does not represent the true measure of its severity. The American people are going to be paying the price in other ways for a long time to come. The outcome could have been different, if it had been handled correctly as we did with SARS-Cov-1 and MERS...but the Idiot In Charge completely bungled our response to it. I voted for that idiot, and I feel betrayed, I thought he was smarter than that. It's a good thing for him that I no longer have a 'get out of jail free card' and insufficient personal resources to assure that any actions I might think deserved would not be discovered. As it is, if had had to choose between him and that commie b*stard Bernie Sanders, I'd put the pinko in the WH instead. I have been registered as a Republican for as long as I have been registered to vote but I am so disgusted by what has gone on that I want to puke.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

The ever changing narrative never ceases to amaze me.

We need to flatten the curve so we don't overwhelm the hospitals.

Masks don't protect you - don't wear a mask.

Mask up to protect other people.

Get a vaccine so you don't spread Covid to Grandma. Vaccination will prevent the spread of Covid.

Get a booster so you don't kill Grandma.

Get another booster. And maybe another.

Vaccines won't prevent you from catching or spreading Covid. Getting vaccinated won't help protect anyone else. The ONLY thing the vaccine might do is to lessen the severity of Covid if you catch it...assuming the side effects don't kill or main you. (But Vitamin D, ivermectin, et al reduce the severity of Covid - should we call them vaccines now?) But get a vaccine to protect yourself.

We need to stop paying attention to case numbers. The number we need to pay attention to is hospitalizations. We have to make sure we don't overwhelm the hospitals.

We're right back to where we started.

When it began, my state issued projections. The narrative was that if we didn't lock down, mask up, etc. the case numbers would quickly spike to 50K a day for a week, and then go away within a couple weeks. We had to flatten that spike.

If we don't stay locked down, we will turn into Florida with 10,000 new cases every day. That's what the governor said. (For the past week, we have been averaging about 20,000 cases per day.)

The percentage of the population with Covid in my state is higher than the national average. The death rate is slightly lower than national average, but not enough to be significant.

In hindsight, everything my state has done has been a complete failure. It had no effect. We should have done nothing, let a few old folks die, (who were already on the verge of death due to other health issues) let the virus burn itself out, and carried on with our lives.

But we did what we did. Poor folks got poorer. Rights got eroded. And rich folks got a lot richer. And that's what this is all about.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I think I caught covid. I haven't bothered getting tested, but it's running amuck and I have the symptoms.

On Monday evening, I had a slight sore throat, and a slight tightness in my chest. I was tired, and went to bed early.

On Tuesday, I was completely exhausted. I had more tightness in my chest. I had muscle pains in my lower back. I just wanted to stay in bed all day. I would have chills and hot flashes. There was a slight nasal congestion.

On Wednesday, I wanted to stay in bed all day. Extreme exhaustion. I checked and I was running a 101.2 fever. My nose started running a little. I started having a mild sinus headache, with pressure around my eyes.

Wednesday night, I would wake up every hour or so, with an extremely dry mouth. I would get a drink, and go back to bed.

I feel like I have more energy this morning. I still have a little tightness in my chest.

I normally take 1000 mg of Vitamin C, and 5000 IU of Vitamin D every day. Sometimes I take a 50 mg of Zinc. I have been doing this ever since covid came out. Since I got sick this week, every time I get a drink, I take a Vitamin C, D, and Zinc pill.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Hope it passes. Seems to be going around here in La Paz, too.

A nearby friend, quite obese and over sixty had it for a few days and is okay now. He just slept a few days.

I've posted info on my site but there is so much there and other stuff that it is hard to find.

Be aware that there can be a second stage that cuts in after a week for only some folks who seem to recover, then relapse, and it is the killer. That aspect is apparently partly allergic. Omicron apparently is less likely to each that stage, though.

At any rate, in addition to what you are taking, in terms of over the counter products, aspirin is advised to prevent clotting and antihistamines to fight the allergic aspect. Ivermectin if you can find it works wonders for many and in my experience has no noticeable side effects.

Hospitals, at least some, apparently are dangerous places these days because they are forbidden to use many of the cheap drugs and required to use some that are lethal like remdesivir.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Countryboy
Forum Regular

In the US, I think the only way you can get ivermectin without a prescription is if you buy the horse wormer.

I'll be 45 next month, and weigh about 160. I'm in reasonably good shape. I smoked when I was younger, but quit smoking when I was 30.

Yesterday, my fever was running 101.8-101.9 all day. I was wearing an extra sweatshirt because I would still have cold chills.

Yesterday evening, I coughed up a big chunk of pearl white sticky phlegm. Normally when I start coughing up phlegm after being sick, it is yellowish. White is supposed to be another sign of covid.

I woke up at 11 pm drenched in sweat and felt like I was roasting in an oven. I checked my temperature, and it was 100.4. I took off my sweatshirt and tossed some of my extra blankets aside.

I slept a lot better last night. This morning my temp is 99.3.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Sounds encouraging. Hope things keep improving. A friend here was over it in less than a week.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

The critical time is one week. If you start to get worse again, then you need to contact the covid care group. They have doctors and pharmacies that will prescribe and supply proven inexpensive drugs many doctors and hospitals will not, including ivermectin.

If you have been reading my diary, I have listed countries that have licked covid after adopting ivermectin and a few other pills. They include Japan and parts of India.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Yesterday I had an occasional cough. Usually it was a dry cough, but a number of times I coughed up thick white phlegm. I had more energy, less muscle aches, and didn't need to stay in bed all day. I was up for a number of hours. I did have a mild caffeine withdrawal headache, but some tea cured it.

This morning, my temperature is 97.9.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio