Diets and Dieting A Different Hypothisis.

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Colino
Forum Regular

Diets and Dieting A Different Hypothisis.

Unread post by Colino »

Every day Allen I read your diet reports and see the struggles I've had myself all my adult life. I've tried calorie diets countless times only to lose weight and fall off the wagon after starving myself for indefinite periods of time. Then I would gain back all the weight I lost in less time than losing it and get even fatter than I was before. Something was wrong with what I was doing. The truth is you cannot starve yourself forever and eventually you will give up. About five years ago I watched a video series by the guy below and I had a "Eureka!" moment. I tried his hypothesis and dropped 75lbs in just over a year and kept it off for 3 years. I stopped a year and a half ago and I have gained back 60 lbs, which is a lot but it is still less than what I lost. Not like before where each time after dieting I got heavier. I'm on the verge of starting it again after a 2 year hiatus. The nice thing about this method is you never have to starve yourself, but you do have to pay attention to what you eat. Keep an open mind and listen to the science.
https://youtu.be/qEuIlQONcHw
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Diets and Dieting A Different Hypothisis.

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Actually, that knowledge is a part of my strategy I have not often mentioned lately. I have been playing with calorie counting and reporting on that. I also mention blood sugar, but have not expanded on the reason.

As with most topics, what is assumed is seldom mentioned and as with Gramma's cookie recipe, some things are taken for granted that the readers cannot possibly guess, so their results are never what they expect.

The same applies to beekeeping articles and courses. The writers and teachers cannot possibly imagine or explain every tiny detail, and some of the most important factors may not be mentioned.

That is the challenge in communication.

Moreover, in transmitting information, many people will add to it or alter it according to their own understanding with the result that the message can be incomplete, distorted, or unrecognisable. As ham radio operators, the major principle we are taught is to never guess and never add to a message. We are taught to repeat exactly what we received, no matter how senseless it may seem to us. If the recdipient cannot make sense of it, that is not our problem. Interpretation is not our job. Transmission is.

At any rate... Avoiding sugars and flour and root crops -- basically high glycemic foods, is and has been an underlying principle for years and was how I got down to 208 back in 2007. At that time, I also had cut out alcohol and resuming alcohol consumption coincided with regaining weight. I don't know whether that was a cause or an effect. Relaxing self-discipline was an underlying cause of both, but I assume that reduced attention to what went into my mouth was a factor.

In my recent stews, I have begun to include rice and barley and potatoes and I can see that is a mistake. I have not noticed high rises in blood sugar, but I am not seeing the weight loss I saw when I did not include them.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Unread post by AdrianQuineyWI »

I think this topic, and the video, is interesting. The US claims great success in reducing heart disease and heart disease related deaths. Yet could it be that we have just traded out one type of disease for others? Heart disease is down, yet cancer and diabetes are up.
Allen, I was also thinking about Canada and the cold. I wonder how much the cold affects your calorie balance? How much of the weight-loss benefit that you see when you ski and play with your kite is not due to how hard you are exercising, but to the energy used in keeping your body warm as you are exercising in the cold?
When I was stuck in a hotel room watching the show "Naked and afraid" which someone said could have been equally titled "Hungry and Cold" the presenters made a point of how many calories one expends staying warm.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Yes, I do think the cold is a factor alright, but I also lost an equal amount of weight working bees in hot weather. I think both conditions cause dehydration and that the effects last days. At least that is my current theory.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Allen Dick wrote:At any rate... Avoiding sugars and flour and root crops -- basically high glycemic foods, is and has been an underlying principle for years and was how I got down to 208 back in 2007. At that time, I also had cut out alcohol and resuming alcohol consumption coincided with regaining weight. I don't know whether that was a cause or an effect. Relaxing self-discipline was an underlying cause of both, but I assume that reduced attention to what went into my mouth was a factor.

In my recent stews, I have begun to include rice and barley and potatoes and I can see that is a mistake. I have not noticed high rises in blood sugar, but I am not seeing the weight loss I saw when I did not include them.
Research has shown that fat cells are not static. They are constantly filling and emptying themselves. So one must also keep in mind the role of glycerol-3-phosphate (G-3-P) which is crucial for turning fatty acids into triglycerides within the cell. If I remember right the body doesn't store G-3-P but manufactures it from carbohydrates. Your blood sugar can be high and you still will not store fat in the absence of G-3-P. The source of G-3-P is carbohydrates, reduce them and you will lose fat.
Another thing to keep in mind is, before the discovery of insulin most diabetics died because they could not store fat and wasted away.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

...glycerol 3-phosphate is also possible to be synthesized from amino acids and citric acid cycle intermediates via glyceroneogenesis pathway. DHAP + NAD(P)H + H+ → G1P + NAD(P)+
It is also synthesized by phosphorylating glycerol generated upon hydrolyzing fats with glycerol kinase, and can feed into glycolysis or glyconeogenesis pathways. Glycerol + ATP → G3P + ADP
Forum owner/janitor
---
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Allen Dick wrote:From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol_3-phosphate

...glycerol 3-phosphate is also possible to be synthesized from amino acids and citric acid cycle intermediates via glyceroneogenesis pathway. DHAP + NAD(P)H + H+ → G1P + NAD(P)+
It is also synthesized by phosphorylating glycerol generated upon hydrolyzing fats with glycerol kinase, and can feed into glycolysis or glyconeogenesis pathways. Glycerol + ATP → G3P + ADP
That's true but I'm not sure if that G3P is used in converting fatty acids into triglycerides or if it is just manufactured in the Krebs cycle to form ATP to power the cell.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Well, all that stuff is too technical for me and even if I understood it, I am not sure I would believe it or be able to see exactly how it applies to me in deciding what to eat and what not to eat.

In my experience, trying to apply technical details in isolation without context leads to plenty of false assumptions. This is especially true in beekeeping, and I assume also applies in dietary and metabolism matters, too.

There are plenty of opinions about carbs and all are based on 'facts' and often research. The best advice I have found that usually, but not always, applies is "Follow the middle path".

I should add that I did follow a low carb diet in 2006 and did lose a lot of weight, but found it hard to persist. Since then, I have concluded that it is not just carbs in general, but fast carbs and overeating that are the biggest issue.
Forum owner/janitor
---