Elections

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Elections

Unread post by Charlie »

Allen today on your blog you said
it is hard to tell who is the worst in this race to the bottom. It is sad
I'd vote for Elizabeth May's bunch anyhow, if her party happened to be on the ballot here. It would be like spitting in to the wind, and I don't necessarily agree with much of what she promotes.
It definitely is a sad state of affairs when you feel compelled to vote and you honestly don't think there's a good choice among the candidates. My wife and I certainly agree with these feelings today which has me thinking we should start a campaign to get "None Of The Above" (NOTA as in NOT A chance) On every the bottom of every ballot regardless of which type of election that is. It would send a clear message to the politicians that some people think politicians are idiots because of the choices they give us to choose between. Really how do they expect us to make an intelligent choice between: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. There just needs to be away of voicing displeasure at the candidates.

When you don't vote the politicians can delude themselves into thinking you don't care.

The same system would work for our friends South of the border also.
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Elections

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:Allen today on your blog you said
it is hard to tell who is the worst in this race to the bottom. It is sad
I'd vote for Elizabeth May's bunch anyhow, if her party happened to be on the ballot here. It would be like spitting in to the wind, and I don't necessarily agree with much of what she promotes.
It definitely is a sad state of affairs when you feel compelled to vote and you honestly don't think there's a good choice among the candidates. My wife and I certainly agree with these feelings today which has me thinking we should start a campaign to get "None Of The Above" (NOTA as in NOT A chance) On every the bottom of every ballot regardless of which type of election that is. It would send a clear message to the politicians that some people think politicians are idiots because of the choices they give us to choose between. Really how do they expect us to make an intelligent choice between: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. There just needs to be away of voicing displeasure at the candidates.

When you don't vote the politicians can delude themselves into thinking you don't care.

The same system would work for our friends South of the border also.
You guys do realize that we have a parliamentary system and you vote the parties platform that best suits you? I never research the candidates because we could have a monkey running and it wouldn't matter you still vote the platform. On second thought maybe we did have some monkeys running this election! :D

"Side Note" Finally got logged in on this puter Allen.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Since when did any Canadian political party actually deliver on promises? They say whatever they have to say to get elected, then do as they please.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Allen Dick wrote:Since when did any Canadian political party actually deliver on promises? They say whatever they have to say to get elected, then do as they please.
The one that comes first to mind is "King Ralph." When he got in he said he was going to make cuts until we screamed, and he did. Also the Harper P.C.s promised to kill the long gun registry and they did.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Yes, I remember when I asked Ralph about the rural health care cuts that had taken place, when he was in the contest for Premier, he said something, like, "You haven't seen anything yet." That surprised me, but I thought it was refreshingly honest.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

I view 99.9% of politicians lying scumbags sorry I'm not as delicate as Allen. What scares the daylights out of me are majority governments because they can do whatever they want and there really is no check or balance. Ideally all main parties each would have won 100 to 110 seats with the green party sucking up the remaining few seats. In this way they would be so busy fighting each other they wouldn't have time to screw up the country any worse. Not to mention Elizabeth May wouldn't be so lonely.

Politics is made up of two root words. "Poly"
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly
Poly, from the Greek πολύς meaning "many" or "much",

Tik/Tick appears to come from middle English but it is unclear and I am unable to find a definitive quote however we'd all agree that
Ticks are bloodsucking parasites

Ergo therefore politics literally translates to "many bloodsucking parasites". The Prime Minister was not even in power and he was promising to raise taxes. If these guys actually had to work for a living they would have a better grasp of reality.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:I view 99.9% of politicians lying scumbags sorry I'm not as delicate as Allen.
No disrespect Charlie, but do you talk to your representatives? I converse quite often with mine, about issues that concern me and I find most of the ones I've talked to are not scum bags. Most of them are caring people who have no direction because the majority of their constituents don't talk to them. Certainly there are some scum bags but I find they are mostly conservative. :D
Allen Dick
Site Admin

The problem IMO is the system, not so much the people. Party politics and the need to get elected require compromises, and that is just the beginning. The need for financing from corporations and special interests distorts agendas. This is not as bad here as some places.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

do you talk to your representatives?
No, never, they would need to return a phone call for that to happen. The email I'm sure goes into a black hole because I have never had a single response from over a dozen email that I've sent over the years other than the automated response that they received your email . The only time any political party ever contacts me is for donation, I'll bet you, I got 20 or 30 of them during the last election. The green party was by far the worst.

In a sense Allen, you and I are in agreement. You think the system is broken which is a fair point and I believe it's the people in the system. Either way we agree that something is broken. Really at the end of the day there is probably some truth to both sides of the argument. I do agree that party politics doesn't mean that your representative can vote the way his constituents would want. Which also points to a broken system.

I did have a beer with a newly minted MLA a couple of months back. whose Riding was west of Edmonton and he seemed like a down to earth decent guy, quite unexpected I must say. He also had a rural riding which is the same type as what you're in. He was the complete opposite of watching a parliamentary debate. Watching the parliamentary debate is the exact reason that I think it's the people. Bickering children with a couple of schoolyard Bullies thrown in is what comes to my mind.

Certainly there are some scum bags but I find they are mostly conservative. :D
I suspect we will find out exactly how many liberal scumbags there are over the next year or two.

Yes I live in the conservative riding. I was unsuccessful in finding out how long it's been conservative, I do know for fact it's 30+ years and wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was 50 or 60 years. I suspect the groundwater may even be blue.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

This thread brought back a memory. I remembered how it was when Pierre Elliott Trudeau was PM. Out west here we were all Conservative except for Bud Olsen, who at the time became Minister of Agriculture if I remember right. He later was appointed to the Senate. Myself, my family and friends all hated Trudeau and had a very unflattering opinion of him. We thought he was some rich man taking what he could get as a politician running our country. Then fast forward a number of years, Pierre had died, Olsen had retired, when I had a service call out to a farm a few miles south of Jenner Ab. It just happened to be the family farm of Bud Olsen. I recognized Bud right away, introduced myself and went to work servicing the furnaces. Bud was in a wheel chair unable to walk much so he couldn't get down stairs to the furnace room and while I was working I heard Bud yelling my name, for me to come up and have a coffee. I tried to explain to him that I was on the clock, but he said he didn't care as he wanted to visit. So I poured myself a coffee and we chatted. Eventually the conversation got around to his career in politics and that in turn came around to Trudeau. I mentioned my dislike for the man and how Trudeau had probably just been filling his pockets and didn't really care. That's when Bud politely educated me on Trudeau. It seems that Pierre Elliott Trudeau was frustrated because he knew he would never be able to change the views of western Canada, and it saddened him because he only really was Prime Minister to the eastern half. That is the reason Bud had done so well with Trudeau, because he was the only liberal in a sea of conservatives out west and the main channel of influence out here for Trudeau. Bud further enlighten me about Trudeau's finances. It was true Pierre Elliot Trudeau was a rich man and as such he never ever took a paycheck for being P.M. of Canada. I can't remember now if Bud says he donated it or if he just never took it. But I came away with a different opinion of politicians that day and a determination to try to get to know my representatives in government as much as I can. I know now that sometimes popular rhetoric can just be rumor.