Bee Friends in southeast Alberta

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Biermann
Forum Regular

Bee Friends in southeast Alberta

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello,

I am new to beekeeping and live outside Vauxhall, Alberta. I have bought one established hive from Scandia Honey and enjoyed their great help, but one does not want to 'overstretch' the helping hand and ask more then necessary.

With doing something new, one needs to learn a lot and I am signed up in this forum and one other to do just this: learn and avoid costly mistakes.

I have one question: does a bee group exists in our area, triangle Brooks, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat? If not would their be interest?

It is often easier to discuss thoughts and ideas, problems, solutions in a personal meeting rather than the 'wireless' way.

I am aware of the Calgary Association, but traveling 2 hours, back and forth is difficult when I am the busiest, in summer.

Hope for answers, Joerg
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Bee Friends in southeast Alberta

Unread post by Colino »

Hello Joerg:
Welcome glad to see you found your way here. You will learn more here from Allen, Vance, Countryboy, Karen, Cam and others on this forum than you will from that other site. I've learned more through reading Allen's diary and gleaning bits of bee wisdom than I found wading through that other site for 2 years. Take time to go through the archives and selected topics on the home page. Everyone here is not in competition to see who can get the highest numbers of posts and they will call out B.S. so the bee gurus of other sites won't cloud your bee education with nonsense. I have not as yet found any bee organizations in this area and I was kicking around the idea of starting one. If I find something or start one I will let you know. Take care and happy beekeeping.
Colino
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Welcome sir and I long for a convivial group to discuss topics of interests and get help with problems. Unfortunately in my location I am surrounded by folks who are intent on saving the Earf whether it needs saved or not and reject bee keeping strategies requiring feeding or medications. I have pretty well been declared a pariah locally so I find advice and council here. As friend Colino said, Mr Dicks diary is a tremendous source of information and it is the easiest place to do a successful search for a topic that I have found lately. Mr Dick is also very prompt with answers when asked. You may not like the answers but they are well reasoned and based in long experience. Good luck on your search for a local group but until and after you find one, Please join in here.
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello,

I did not know that my thread was posted, it needed clearing first and I was not aware, sorry for not responding sooner.

My first year with my first hive went reasonably well, considering that first time parents want to do it all right.

Thank you for your help already on 'that other site'!

I will keep my eyes on this.

Cheers and habee beekeeping, joerg