Major Yuk Factor

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Colino
Forum Regular

Major Yuk Factor

Unread post by Colino »

We got about 4-8" of wet snow last night and it's still snowing. We are right back into winter again but I don't think it will last too long.
Have A Happy Bunny Day!
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Charlie
Forum Regular

Re: Major Yuk Factor

Unread post by Charlie »

Calgary got an inch or two at least on the south end and it's snowing sporadically and in general lousy weather compared to a week ago. But overall we have had a fantastic spring at least in this part of the Alberta, My memory could be faulty but I can't remember a spring that has been this good in 50+ years. Personally I'm hoping it goes right through until next Christmas. :-).

I believe the good weather is supposed to return for next weekend. So this short stint with the white fluffy stuff is a subtle reminder of what we've missed and what the East Coast has been pounded with. Depending on how the snow melts in the East I would expecting that flooding could be a real concern for some folks.
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

Being one who lives on the east coast and still looking at 3 foot snow banks I am going to say a little snow won't hurt you. :) Most of the ground is still covered with snow. Last week I put on mite treatments and pollen patties and had to use snowshoes. Now enough has melted that I will not need them next time I check hives.

The sliver maples are blooming but the problem is it is to cold for the bees to fly. Last Friday it was warm and the bees worked the trees but since then the weather has been windy and cold.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

I have to say that "beekeeping with snowshoes on" just does not sound right.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:Calgary got an inch or two at least on the south end and it's snowing sporadically and in general lousy weather compared to a week ago. But overall we have had a fantastic spring at least in this part of the Alberta, My memory could be faulty but I can't remember a spring that has been this good in 50+ years. Personally I'm hoping it goes right through until next Christmas. :-).

I believe the good weather is supposed to return for next weekend. So this short stint with the white fluffy stuff is a subtle reminder of what we've missed and what the East Coast has been pounded with. Depending on how the snow melts in the East I would expecting that flooding could be a real concern for some folks.
We watch David Spence every night on CTV Calgary and you guys have had a great spring. Ours has been touch and go but at least the temps have not been too bad. The snow yesterday was also wet and heavy so it put down a lot of moisture that will penetrate and not just run off because the ground has thawed. Although we'll get a good run off it probably will not be as bad as Karen and those in the east will experience.
Karen let us know if you have to change your snowshoes to hip waders . :shock:
Weather for Whitla ab. this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Colino, Maybe we should start designing pontoons for those hives on the East Coast. We could offer them a package deal with hip waders, then we could get crowdfunding; I see that Flow Hive has extended their deadline by 2-3 weeks and they have now got over 8.5 million dollars in donations. :shock:
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:Colino, Maybe we should start designing pontoons for those hives on the East Coast. We could offer them a package deal with hip waders, then we could get crowdfunding; I see that Flow Hive has extended their deadline by 2-3 weeks and they have now got over 8.5 million dollars in donations. :shock:
You forgot we could give them kick starter pricing. I'm just a little jealous of those guys. :?