Transfer a Nuc to a 10 Frame Deep, same apiary

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Transfer a Nuc to a 10 Frame Deep, same apiary

Unread post by BDT123 »

I have an over-wintered 5 over 5 Nuc that I want to transfer to a 10 frame Deep when the weather is appropriate.
I have a dead-out, cleaned out and ready to put them in.
It is approximately 10 feet from the existing Nuc location.
Should I move the Nuc to their ultimate location now, before foraging starts and at the appropriate time transfer to the deep? Would it be better to just put the Nuc on the hive stand beside their final domicile?
The hives are painted and the new (to the bees) hive is a different colour than the Nuc. Will that matter?
If the brood nest spans the top and bottom of the Nuc, is there a preferred way to arrange the brood nest at time of transfer? I assume all brood frames go to the centre. If required I could use 2 deeps to maintain the existing brood configuration. ,
We still have about 2 feet of snow laying around so foraging is not imminent.
I only have one small apiary so a two mile move is not in the cards.
Advice and comments are welcome.
Thanks and best regards,
Brian
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Re: Transfer a Nuc to a 10 Frame Deep, same apiary

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Why not put the deep(s) where the nuc is now?
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

BBK, my hive stands were built to have a colony on each end and a work area between. The Nuc is located where I don't want it, between 2 big hives.The Nuc was placed there when I had little belief they would successfully rear a queen or that she would mate successfully. Then it was too late; they thrived. Now they have surprised me again by making it this far through Winter.
It makes inspections of the hives on each end very awkward. Basically, I want the real estate back.
I'm thinking a move before they start flying in earnest will be best.
Thanks and best regards,
Brian
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

If required I could use 2 deeps to maintain the existing brood configuration. ,
I would recommend this. It also gives them room to expand, which nucs need really fast.

I would move the nuc to the new location now, before they even start doing cleansing flights. Transfer them to the deeps once the weather is better. There is always a chance that a few bees will still remember their old location, but those bees will just join up with the other hives there so any drifting is no big deal.

I would recommend having a frame feeder with syrup in the deep boxes when you transfer the nuc.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Thanks Country, I moved them this morning. +2 C, no flyers, closed entrances, lifted and done in 2 minutes.
Opened entrances and got bumped by a couple, no drama.
This afternoon there are a few buzzing around but all seems ok.
The receiver deeps are parked beside the Nuc, waiting.
I have a frame feeder ready to go in.
We have more snow forecast this week and Willows and Aspens are a couple weeks from bloom.
Will advise as this progresses.
Thanks and best regards,
Brian
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Final update on this. All went smooth, no issues putting the Nuc into the big box. There were only 3 full frames of brood, centred in the upper box. Placed those in middle with empty drawn comb on each side, pollen and nectar outside those, honey on the outside.
Didn't add the frame feeder since they were bringing in nectar and pollen. I'll keep an eye them to make sure they are adequately provisioned.
Best regards and thanks again,
Brian
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

I got queens yesterday, I should be making up nucs today...should have done it yesterday but I was so tired I could barely walk, let alone dig into hives, my job is killing me.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

BBK, good luck with the Nucs. Hope all went well.
Never let a job kill you! All that stuff about life is too short....it's true. On your deathbed, you will never wish you had made more money or worked more hours.
Easy to say when retired...
Mine was killing me til I packed it in.
Best regards,
Brian