Bears

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
BDT123
Forum Regular

Bears

Unread post by BDT123 »

Not a question, just a little story.
So, after 2 years, I finally had a bear encounter last night. Hadn't seen any around for 4 years so I was fairly complacent about them.
I was in my shop and the hives are out back, just 20' from the south wall of the shop. I heard a thump and a bit of a ruckus so out I went with the flashlight.
My nuc was tipped over at a 45 degree angle, bees boiling out everywhere. Quick scan and I spotted a black bear cub about 10' from the hive stand.Gave it a shout and up the nearest poplar tree it went.
Headed for the house to grab the fear-maker shotgun.
I got inside and my wife informed me that we had a big bear on the patio. Crap, this was going down-hill fast.
Ran up to the gun safe and grabbed the .410 and the 12 Gauge, didn't know where this was going.
Back to the patio and Momma had ambled back across the driveway. I fired the .410 in the air and she headed out in a motivated way.
Headed back to the apiary and the cub had disappeared as well. Whew.
I think the honeys had stung the hell out of the little one, since it hadn't gone past the tip-over stage.
Hoping the stings and the scare have sent them packing.
I started the electric fence today, will finish tomorrow. Not sure why I waited so long but like I said above, complacency.
I suited up, full gear, to put the nuc back together. Never saw such angry bees in 2 years.
I guess they didn't realize I was the ER team.
It all went fairly smooth, other than the veil ramming and glove stinging.
When I was done I went back in the shop and still had about 10 bees buzzing around my veil. My wrists had started tingling as well... WTH?
They had stung right through the heavy canvas of my gauntlets and just enough stinger poked through to get to my exposed wrists. Never suit-up in a hurry; cautionary tale.
I pulled 12 stingers out of the cotton on my gloves today. They were in full DefCon 3 last night.
So, I learned a valuable lesson with little cost, despite the itching and bad dreams last night.
Best regards,
Brian
53N, 115W, El. 850M
BDT123
Forum Regular

Re: Bears

Unread post by BDT123 »

Nothing quite like the ticking of the fencer to let a beekeeper rest at night.
After several challenges to overcome, the fence is 'live' and I believe I will get a good night's sleep.
Best regards to all,
Brian
53N, 115 W, El.850M
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Do E-fences have lower temperature boundaries of effectiveness? I assume that as long the soil is not frozen hard there should still be some efficacy. Any other comments or observations from the learned?
Best regards,
Brian
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Another update from this past month.
I was preparing for an apiary inspection 2 weeks ago and shut off the fencer. As I dilly-dallied in the shop getting jacket on, lighting smoker, etc. I heard a thump from outside. I hurried out and sure enough a hive was on the ground having landed squarely in its lid. A small black bear scurried off through the brush. Talk about bad timing!
I righted the hive and put off inspecting. Started up the fencer again.
That evening my wife and I were out on the house patio and heard a loud 'crackle-snap' from behind the shop. I grabbed my flashlight to go have a look but nothing to be seen. I can only hope the young bear got a good shot.
It's a 6 Joule fencer so it would have been a serious jolt. No bears around since, at least no tipped hives.
Best regards,
Brian
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Wow, hanging around, just waiting to get in...not really, just coincidence...but have you not 'trained' them? Fold pieces of tinfoil over the hot wire(s), spread some peanut butter on the foil to stick it together...a bear will generally not need to lick the foil more than once to convince it to go elsewhere...
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

BBK, great idea. I can do that.
Thanks,
Brian