Labelling

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Labelling

Unread post by Pepper21 »

For labelling they say you need to have the grade of your honey on it. But you can't grade it yourself number 1,2 or 3 need to have to an inspector. So then on the label can you put your moisture % and that be your grade? Just trying to figure out what is acceptable on the labels , we know you need product name, quantity, address, color ,grade and registration number if going outside of AB. So once again not sure what to put for grade?
Biermann
Forum Regular

Re: Labelling

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello Pepper,

Have a look at this, by the time you are done reading it you probably curse the bees for their hard work, cause the have the easy job.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 2907941975

Good luck, Joerg
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Are you a "federally registered establishment"?

If you are not, then it would appear that these things do not apply to you...just my opinion based on my read...I could be wrong since I have little experience with Canadian regulations and there may be other requirements of which I am totally ignorant.
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Thanks Biermann, unfortunately the website says it down for maintance until Sunday, so I will have to check again then.
No Badkeeper we aren't a federal establishment we are just starting out and have just a few hives. So hopefully whatever it says is ok.
The info we found just said we needed name , address, quantity, color,and product. Also grade but we could only find for people that are major retailers, not just littles like us. There are so many regulations out there for everything
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

What is the enforcement mechanism of the labeling requirements? Does Canada have enforcement agents who regularly visit stores and farmers markets checking for label compliance? Or do they just investigate complaints, if someone complains about your label?

Odds are, while you are a small-time hobbyist beekeeper, none of your customers are going to care if your honey label says what grade it is if you are selling locally. Being local will mean more to your customers than putting the grade of the honey on the label. (Odds are, the average customers doesn't know the difference between the grades of honey anyway.)

Sometimes it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I suspect that if you have your name, address, weight, and say pure/raw/unfiltered honey on the label, your customers will likely be satisfied and you will probably never have any problem.

Here in Ohio, I regularly see honey sold in quart jars with a piece of masking tape on it that says 'honey' written in marker. (Common among hobbyist Amish beekeepers.) I also see honey bottles which do not state the weight in grams or kg. (Common among hobbyists who print their own labels. Labeling requirements say a bottle under 3 pounds need to state ounces and grams both, and over 3 pounds needs the weight stated in pounds and kg both.) These do not meet Ohio's labeling requirements, yet I've never heard of any beekeepers getting in trouble.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Pepper21 wrote: No Badkeeper we aren't a federal establishment we are just starting out and have just a few hives. So hopefully whatever it says is ok.
Then this is the important part of the regs, for you:
The labelling requirements of the Honey Regulations (HR) that are summarized in this section apply to pure honey (creamed or liquid) produced in federally registered establishments, as well as to imported honey.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 975?chap=1

Read what I bolded. "The labelling requirements...apply to...federally registered establishments..."

If you are not registered, then none of that stuff applies to you. Take Countryboy's advice and ease your mind. It is unlikely that anyone will say anything to you, and if someone were to do so, you just point them to that part of the regs (linked).
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Thanks for suggestions. As far as I know no I don't think anyone is checking for labelling requirements but just like you said if there is a complaint. Because we are beginners just trying to get it sort of right. You are right most customers don't know or care what the label says. But you get a few that might take a second to read it.
There are way to many rules for labelling or inspecting for all farm products( eggs,honey,beef, vegetables, baking). It is really ridiculous all we should put on products is -eat at your own risk it is completely natural, may cause health. :lol: :lol:
whix

Unread post by whix »

I've been caught by the label police.

In Ontario "they" send people out to farmers' markets and stores to buy honey, jam, preserves and produce then take it back and check for label requirements, nutrition label, moisture content, grade, colour, weight, 20+ banned drugs and lead. Even the size of jar is regulated.
My honey has been checked three times in the last 4 years and once about 20 years ago.
Its luck of the draw.

The first time I was checked "they" mailed me a letter stating my mailing address wasn't on the label, I had only listed my town. I called and asked how "they" knew where to send the letter but "they" failed to see the irony.
The other times I received letters listing all the things they didn't find.
I use Ontario #1, have never been challenged on it and never been federally inspected.

I lost a store over price, after the other beekeeper's honey was recalled/condemned for lead they came back.
I use the letters as a selling feature.

So, yes, there is enforcement, even for "littles" like us.
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Pepper21 wrote:For labelling they say you need to have the grade of your honey on it. But you can't grade it yourself number 1,2 or 3 need to have to an inspector.
I just came across some information from the Canadian Honey Council, and it appears that it is forbidden to use the grade designations if you are not registered with the CFIA.

You are required to register with the CFIA only if you sell your honey outside of your home Province.
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Wow whix that's interesting to know that they send out random inspectors.
We came across that too badbeekeeper about that unless you are inspected you can't label with the grades 1,2,3.
So instead we just put on our label the moisture % , quantity, color, product, address, and name. Anyways right now it is slow going selling honey, there are too many in our area. But alittle at a time until we build up a customer base. The ones that have bought are already coming back for more so that's great
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

My labels are simple-

Raw Honey
Farm Name
(555) 867-5309
whix

Unread post by whix »

I received a letter from the Honey Monitoring Program, Food Inspection Branch of OMFRA this month, after they checked my honey yet again. Still no problems.

I called and asked a few questions.

They pick up about 150 samples a year from farmers' markets and farm gates sales, mostly looking for new people.
If there are issues with the product, first they educate. You go on a list for future follow up to see if you complied with the regulations.
You are on their radar now.
If they find you haven't complied ,they said they will come check to see where the problems exist and enforce the regulations. If you still don't comply they could seize your product and as a last resort charge you.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/foo ... toring.htm

This time my honey tested 17.9% moisture which is .1% higher than #1 grade and my "Colour by Spectrometry" was 32mm which is 2mm more than the white I labelled it as. I was told they have some leeway and not to worry.
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello whix, thank you for your detailed info.

It creates again my question: is there two bodies that look after this: CFIA & provincial Ag-food departments?

I always thought we are dealing with CAN #1, 2 or 3, now I see ON #1, 2 or 3? How much of our money can and should a country wast on doubling-up on monitoring?

I don't state a grade, do I have to? My buyers buy my honey for the taste, not the grade.

Cheers, Joerg
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Biermann- note the requirements here:
O. Reg. 119/11 does not apply to honey sold by a producer directly to a consumer at the producer's place of residence if the honey was produced in the producer's apiary and the container is labelled with the producer's name and full address and the words "honey/miel" or "comb honey/miel en rayon" as appropriate.
The grade must appear on the label of a honey container offered for sale, sold or transported directly to a consumer or a retail outlet. O. Reg. 119/11 contains three grade standards for honey:

"Ontario No. 1"
"Ontario No. 2"
"Ontario No. 3"

These standards are based on the equivalent federal "Canada" numerical grade standards.

Ontario grade standards must be used by non-federally registered packers. Only federally registered packers can use the federal "Canada" grade standards and names.
If you are not selling in Ontario, this does not apply to you. If you are not selling in retail stores in Ontario, this does not apply to you. If you are selling in Ontario AND you are federally registered, this does not apply to you if you are meeting the federal labeling requirements.

If you are operating an apiary in Ontario, and you are selling to consumers directly from your apiary, this does not apply to you.