Recommended books or websites to read about beekeeping

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Jiminycric
Forum Regular

Recommended books or websites to read about beekeeping

Unread post by Jiminycric »

Hello, just signed up here as a new member. I am looking to find some great resources on beekeeping - hoping that they may be free or on the cheaper side - that I can read up on. Maybe something that is a little more specific on Canada climate beekeeping? I do have 3 local beekeeper so that I can ask questions if I am in doubt, but for some reason just can't seem to soak up enough about the bees. I just started a hive here just over 2 weeks ago (very last minute - and a little unprepared) and have read "beekeeping for dummies" and a couple other resources. Any advice or reference to a resource would be great! :D
- Jiminycric
Strathmore, Alberta
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Recommended books or websites to read about beekeeping

Unread post by Countryboy »

I think the absolute best website you can read to learn about beekeeping in your area is Allen's diary. Read the whole thing. It's worthwhile. It's great info for any beekeeper, and would be even more valuable for you since you are in Alberta too.

Here is a good starting point.
http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/2000/diary030300.htm
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
TWall
Forum Regular

Unread post by TWall »

Choose one and stick with it. There is a lot of different advice or ways to keep bees. It can get confusing. Without the experience to filter out the good from the bad it is very easy to lose track of up and down.

Tom
Jiminycric
Forum Regular

Unread post by Jiminycric »

Thanks guys.the thing I have been reading so far are a little different in terms of the how to. I will certainly look at Allan's diary here. I am trying keep an open mind that some things that I read may not work depending on location.
- Jiminycric
Strathmore, Alberta
Hawker
Forum Regular

Unread post by Hawker »

Another good read is Beekeeping in Western Canada published by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development.