Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

 May 2018





Previous Page                                                         Next Page
Background image - Ducks on my pond


 ! If you are looking for bee information !

Bee-related posts are infrequent here lately, but at one time I was very involved. Just about every topic has been covered somewhere on this site some time or another. Best bets are: 1.) check back on today's date in various previous years 2.) visit the selected topics page 3.) search this site for keywords. 4.) visit

Thursday May 10th 2018
5.9 214.0   124/73  58

Today Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers this morning then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind southeast 20 km/h becoming light late this morning. High 14. UV index 7 or high.
Tonight Becoming cloudy this evening with 30 percent chance of showers this evening and overnight. Low 6.

I slept right through until 0430, and got up. 

I'll probably go back to bed later, but for now I am awake.  My mind is clear and I'm engaged. In recent weeks I have tended to get up, have breakfast and coffee, do a few things, then return to bed and sleep as long as two more hours. Strange, maybe, but it works for me.

I did go back to bed and slept another hour and a half.  I dreamt my cat, Amos, was still alive.

I got up again for the day.  Looking out, I see steady rain and the grass is already growing so fast I can almost see it getting taller.  The trees are leafing out, too.

I have to figure out my plans for the month now. I had been itching to get back to La Paz but the forthcoming sale of Cassiopeia, if it completes, and the delivery of Just Do It! have come between me and that plan.

To get to Powell River, Westjet to Comox is the most direct way and Westjet pilots are threatening a strike (red dot is the first possible day), so even if I get to Powell River, getting back could be difficult. Of course, at this point I do not know how long I'll be out there.  The delivery takes a day to three, the repair two days I figure, and the return trip takes another day to three.  Once south, I may also divert to Sidney to show off the boat to the charter agents there to boost bookings, visit Cassiopeia before the closing, and to complete my instructor qualifications.

The Cassiopeia sale will mean changes. I haven't been eager to sell my favourite boat, but everything has its season and I find I am not unhappy about it.  MY interests have changed and Mexico is now my choice for the Canadian west coast winter off-season

Dr Mirkin's email today contains an interesting article about intermittent fasting today that should show up in his free weekly newsletter soon. You can subscribe to his email list, too, if you like.

Here is an excerpt.

This new study from the University of Florida proposes that intermittent fasting works because it causes repeated "flipping of the metabolic switch." After you have fasted for about 12 hours, you start to lose body fat because your body is forced to change temporarily from its main energy source, glucose (sugar) to fat from the fat stored in your body, and using these fatty acids that are converted to energy to produce ketones that are also used for energy.<snip> Most of the studies reviewed in this new article show that intermittent fasting caused weight loss primarily through loss of body fat, not loss of muscle.

Types of Intermittent Fasting
Several different patterns of intermittent fasting have been proposed and studied, including:
• Time-restricted fasting (every day), such as not eating after 6PM until the next morning, or eating twice a day at noon and at 5PM.
• Alternate day fasting: a 24-hour fast followed by a 24-hour non-fasting period.
• Weekly variations such as fasting two days a week and five days with the person's normal meals. Fasting does not have to be on consecutive days.
• Monthly variations such as fasting five days a month.
The fast periods may involve complete fasting (no calories) or modified "fasting," taking in no more than 25 percent of energy needs. So far, research has not proven any one method of intermittent fasting to be superior to the other methods. This means that if you want to try intermittent fasting, you can pick the type of schedule that seems to suit you best. It is not easy to restrict food when your refrigerator is full and you are hungry, so you may find it easier to fast overnight from 6:00 PM to the next morning. <snip>

My mother is in her 100th year and in light of the article snipped above, I realise now that she has always eaten an early supper and never eaten in the evenings.  She naturally fasts from 5:30 PM until 7:30 in the morning. Always has.

The thing is that she eats muffins and a lot of sweets during the day, at least a lot by my standards, and has a clear mind and long life.  Hmmm.

I wonder how weather compares between my favourite places.  Factors that affect comfort are daily highs, daily lows, and the range between them.

La Paz


Powell River


It looks to me that BC and BCS are the winners for warm and dry this coming ten-day spell, but BCS will be uncomfortably hot in the marina.

Around five, I decided to drive to Airdrie to do a little shopping.  I had ordered a pair of Birkenstocks and they had come in a while ago and there were a few other things as well. 

After I picked up the sandals I had a burger and went to London Drugs to get a can of coolant to use in assessing electronics. 

My 587D ham transceiver has a temperature-sensitive part somewhere on a circuit board. When the radio gets warm, something generates noise in the speaker,  To track this down, the trick is to spray cold air various parts in succession until spraying somewhere alters the sound. Then the part is replaced or the solder joint re-soldered.

I found what I needed, then decided to buy an underwater camera and decided to buy a Finepix XP-130.

I've had several Fujifilm cameras and, in fact, I know where there is one that I dropped one day, hidden somewhere down in a coral reef at Monkey Point across from Beef Island. 

Another finally gave out some time back. I also have a GoPro Hero Black but find it very hard to use as the screen is very small and it is also encased in a clear plastic box.

I don't want to have to carry my phone out in the elements and also want to take pictures underwater when snorkeling.

I had assumed it would be similar to the simple ones I've owned in the past, but it has wifi and Bluetooth -- and is somewhat larger. Oh, well.  One feature important to me is size, since I need to carry it in my bathing suit pocket.   I think this will be fine.

I got home and put things away, then unpacked and charged the camera, then went to bed at midnight.

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
 There are two different types of people in the world,
those who want to know, and those who want to believe.
Friedrich Nietzsche

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Friday May 11th 2018
6.4  214.2   101/61 56

Today Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers early this morning. Clearing this afternoon. Wind becoming north 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning. High 15. UV index 6 or high.
Tonight Clear. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low plus 3.

This morning I decided to compare the camera I bought with the camera in my phone.  I expected the phone, a Pixel XL, to be the winner.  Here are some pond shots I took this morning and two random shots I took last night when I was unpacking the camera.  Try to guess which is which. The shots in each pair are in the same camera order.  These are thumbnails and a larger version is linked. In neither case, though is the image full size or resolution -- they are too big to post.

No Zoom


5X Zoom


Point and shoot at night in a semi-dark room

What did you guess? The answer is farther down.

I decided yesterday to cut back on the eggs and today I cooked steel-cut oats.  In the past, I found that even slow-cooked oats raises my blood sugar unacceptably after eating whereas eggs do not, but I thought I'll give it another try and watch the portion size.  I'm taking a bit of glucophage and that may make a difference.  We'll see.

I tried 500mg of glucophage recently and found that it gives me aches.  250mg did not, so I have been taking that does, but I tried again yesterday and have some aches today, so I think I'll stick with 250 for now. 

Even though I took 500mg yesterday I see my morning BG is 6.4 today compared to numbers in the 5s over the last while.  I decided not to snack at night and have not eaten for twelve hours this time, though, and the smaller numbers were when I was snacking as late as midnight.

As for the pictures above, the first shot in each pair is from my Pixel XL phone and the second is from the Fuji XP camera.  Which is more accurate?  Neither, really.  Images are an optical trick where dots of ink try to fool our eyes and minds.  As for which resembles my impression of what I was looking at, I'd say that neither gets the misty morning wide shot quite right, but the camera wins on the zoom, and the phone does a far better shot indoors at night.

Adrian writes from time to time.

Allen, a tip I heard years ago from a diabetic educator was to drink a big glass of water with your breakfast. It is supposed to put more volume into your blood system and dilute the concentration of sugar down. It might be helpful with the oatmeal.

I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and a glass of water with my pills, so I don't think that is the issue but I'm noticing less impact today from the oats, so maybe the problem is portion size.  Also I add raisins and cranberries and they are sweet...

I wonder if the funk you feel when back at the school house is because you have no purpose there anymore. My observation is that you are a fixer, and a worker. As your business is sold and Ellen has passed there is no solid purpose for you when you’re back in Alberta.

That is my guess. The other side of it is that there is so much to do here that I never feel caught up, so am reluctant to try.  I can either accept the decay or go nuts clearing windows, cutting grass, gardening, beekeeping, pool cleaning... 

One of the reasons for maintaining the place is for visitors and over time people are aging and we don't have the parties and participation we once had.

When you are on the boats there are things to do and there are enough people around with a common purpose to keep you interested. My autocorrect wanted to put “community” in place of “common purpose”. That too - trite as it may seem - community and belonging are worth something to us as humans.

You hit the nail on the head. I have not felt lonely until recently.  My cat died, then my dog died.  Betty died, people got busy, and our weekly meals went into decline. I'm away so much people forget about me here.

I was happy in la Paz, but after my company left, I was surprised to find that I was a bit let down and thought about it.

In la Paz, there is a very large and active expat community, with a cruiser group as a subset. The cruceros have a daily net on VHF radio that goes on for a half-hour covering everything for comings and goings to weather, exchange rates, and swaps and trades.  At 0930 daily, coffee is served in the clubhouse at Marina de la Paz.  La Paz Gringos is an active mailing list and members have a meetup group or two as well.

So, what I am saying is that in La Paz, there are plenty of activities and opportunities to be involved and I miss that here.

Lastly, I really enjoyed reading your tale of running out of diesel and how you got through that episode.

That was a challenging day, but fun. I had lots of time to chronicle it as I drifted along, and it was instructive inasmuch as my initial reaction was that I was hooped and would miss my flight, but the fact was I had far more than enough time and resources at hand.

I measured my reaction  to the oats and found that an hour after, BG was 8.7, but two hours later it was 5.7. (Mirkin considers 8.9 to be the threshold for damage.)

That is interesting because if I wait two more hours, it may be back up over 6.  In fact, I wondering if my low morning BGs have been due to the midnight snacks and my body's insulin reaction, a reaction that wears off after a while. 

I notice now that the labs expect a twelve-hour fast before a BG blood teat rather than the eight hour that was standard a decade ago.

The explanations we hear don't seem to fit what I see. Of course everyone is different.

*   *   *   *   *

I spent much of the day arranging to get the necessary work done on Just Do It! At first it all seemed easy but reservations to get drydocked proved hard to get, and the long weekend comes in the middle. So, I found myself phoning various parties in BC, waiting for responses, making decisions, consulting...

I was feeling doubtful and a bit stressed until I hit upon a solution that does not mean delivering the boat 100 miles south and back, with potential delays at Shelter Island.  Right now I have a lift reserved at Jack's in Lund and a backup reservation at Shelter Island.

I decided I need exercise and since the day had turned nice, I peddled out to Elliotts' and back.

After that, I texted Larry and we discussed the matter.  Whereas Fraser had though the boat need polishing and painting, Larry said he had done that last season and it should be fine. We also discussed the seeping and concluded there is nothing that requires immediate attention.  At this point, I really don't want to go to the west coast.

My 587D ham radio acts up when hot, so I took off the covers and used the cold air spray all over the printed circuits and could not find any component that responded. The thing is  maze of logic components so I have no clue.,  It'll have to consult the Internet or maybe send it out for repair.

I watched more of Rosewood and went to bed. I did not eat after six thirty. Blood sugar was 5.7 at bedtime.  It will be interesting to check in the morning. 

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do.
Michael Porter

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Saturday May 12th 2018
6.1  214   1211.4   106/67  62

Today Mainly sunny. Wind becoming north 20 km/h this morning. High 24. UV index 8 or very high.
Tonight A few clouds. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 7.

I'm up at 0830, feeling very groggy.  A cup or two of coffee fixed that, but I wondered if it had to do with not eating after supper and looked up being groggy. This is interesting.

I decided yesterday to have oats again for breakfast, as there are continuing suspicions about eating as many eggs as I was. My concern bout oats is the blood glucose response, so I have been watching. Although my BG was 5.7 last night at bedtime, it was 6.1 at rising and 8.4 an hour after breakfast. An hour and half later, it was 5.7.  That is acceptable.

I am realizing that in my case, BG rises after a meal, then is lowest several hours later, but rises again after several hours if I don't eat. Why, I don't know.  I would have expected it to stay down or go lower. Is it the liver?  Continuing digestion in the gut? 

I don't see this explained anywhere, so I asked Doctor Google. More on this later.

I spent the morning worrying about details and trying to plan a trip to the coast.  I really don't want to go as I cannot envision how this will work out at Shelter Island and I really would rather be in Mexico.  Just the same, when I look, I see I'd only have two weeks in Mexico as my eye doctor made an appointment for the 28th.

Maybe after that I'll go to Mexico.  I planned to only be gone a few weeks when I left, but I may have another eye appointment shortly after the first, so it is hard to plan.

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
 Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
Friedrich Nietzsche

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Sunday May 12th 2018
.1  212.0    1211.4   108/65  63

Today Sunny. High 25. UV index 8 or very high.
Tonight Clear. Low plus 5.

I rolled over and the clock said 3:27.  My alarms were set for 4:30 and I went back to sleep. They roused me at 4:30, and I set up the coffee and stepped into the shower.

I didn't "jump in the shower", as people say these days.  I stepped into the shower.  I   was too groggy to jump and for some reason my left calf has been a bit sore. Maybe the bike ride the other day?

I don't usually shower daily.  I find it too hard on my skin. I've also discovered that washing my hair in the shower and rinsing down over my body is a formula for being itchy for a day afterwards.

Nonetheless, there is no better way to wake up, unless maybe running a mile on a treadmill like my son-in-law does every day.  Actually he runs a lot more than a mile.

I'm writing this without reading glasses.  It's slightly blurry, but for some reason my eyes focus better today. 

My body is a total mystery to me. Things keep changing.  Sometimes for worse and sometimes, thank heavens, for better.

I've lost weight over the past few years and at dinner we were discussing muscle loss. Everyone is afraid of losing muscle.  I said that losing muscle is natural if you lose fat because you don't need as much muscle to carry around your weight.  I mentioned that carrying 35 extra pounds is like toting a large pail of honey around everywhere.

Of course, I'm thinking of a guy like me who was heavily muscled in my beekeeping days from throwing 50 and 90 pound boxes around all day for fun.  For more inactive people without much muscle, I can see how that would be an issue.

It's five now and I have to be out of here by seven. I think I'll park at the airport today. It costs more, but also is convenient.  I don't know how long I'll be gone.  Could be a week.  Could be two weeks, but it won't be longer.  I have an appointment on the 28th.

I'm actually looking forward to this now.  I'll be sailing alone for 100 miles over three days and living in the boat up on stilts at Shelter Island and the rest is fuzzy.  Can't visualize. 

The sky is brightening in the east and I'm fully awake. Now, I'll go find my reading glasses and see how this looks and get packing,  Seven hours from now I expect to be met by my friend, Don, in Comox, and twelve hours from now, at my boat, Just Do It!.

With any luck, I'll be sleeping at anchor in Sturt Bay on Texada Island tonight.

Into the blue unknown...  Another adventure begins.

*    *    *     *    *

I left the house a bit after 7 and drove to Park and Jet. Minutes later I was in the airport passing through security and walking to my gate. For some strange reason they did not insist on inspecting the contents of all my bags. I must be losing my mojo.

The flight was uneventful. My friend Don met me at the airport.  We had three or four hours to kill until ferry departure at 3:25 and I needed supplies, so we went grocery shopping and had lunch.

Around three, we drove to the ferry terminal where we learned that the ferry was broken down would not be going for a while.  IN fact, it might not even be repaired by the the next scheduled sailing at 7:10.

About eight would-be passengers were stranded so we phoned around looking for a water taxi. Some of the group found a friend with a small speed boat and that solved their problem but I decided to wait until the 7:10 sailing, seeing that by then the ferry staff had confirmed that the 7:10 was going to go for sure. Don and I drove back to town and stopped at a friend's place the visit.

We sat down to chat and Flo's wife set a beer in front of us. I said to myself, what the heck.  It's been six months and I can't see any real benefit from not having had a beer, so I drank it.

I could of course see a benefit from not overdrinking, but that is a different matter.  At least |I hope it is.

He, Flo, was trying to take some shipping pallets apart and needed tools, so he dropped over to Don's to borrow a crowbar.  We sat down again and on got out the whiskey and poured us each a finger or two with water and ice.  Then, after a while, out came the white wine and we each had a glass.  I did not notice much effect, but it did lift the mood and my mood needed lifting.

After visiting a while, we all -- Don and I and Flo and his wife, Helen -- went for supper at  a local restaurant (I see the voice recognition wasn't working well and corrected this) and had fish and chips.  It was some of the best fish and chips I've had anywhere. By then I was a bit giddy,.

Then it was time to catch the ferry so Don drove me to the terminal and sure enough it was boarding. I bought my ticket, walked on board and two hours later I was walking to my boat at Westview.

I arrived at the boat and settled in. By then it was just about dark. I watched a bit of video and went to sleep.

I'm back on a boat again. This one, a Jeanneau is the same size as my Beneteau but they're quite different. The salon sizes are different and the cabin sizes are different, too. This boat has a dedicated shower booth (nice!). The other one has not. This boat has a conventional mainsail the other has in-mast furling.

I do  know if I had to choose, which one I would pick. It would be Baja Magic due to the greater number of features and a larger and more luxurious salon. I also like the in-mast furling.  There's something to be said for the open cockpit on this boat, though, as I find the enclosures on the Beneteau a little overdone. The fact that this boat sails upwind much better is a lesser factor.

I didn't get much sleep last night and I don't know how much I'll get tonight because my plan is to leave at first light tomorrow to make as much distance as I can the first day.

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
This is my simple religion.
There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
Dalai Lama

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Monday May 14th 2018

Today Mainly sunny. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming west 20 this afternoon. High 29. UV index 7 or high.
Tonight A few clouds. Low 8.

I woke up at 4:30 and got up. The sky was already starting to get brighter. I was still tired but I figured that in a in a while I'd wake up and I do want to get underway early to catch the tide.

It took me a while to get things organized but around 5:30 I pushed away from the dock and backed carefully out through the narrow space between the boats and the breakwater and set my course for Grief Point.

I soon rounded the point and turned south southeast on my course for the next 60 miles. There was no wind at all and the water was as flat and slick as a mirror.

*    *    *    *

I am making over 6 knots under engine power and that means I'll get to my destination sooner than expected unless things change.  Right now I'm riding the ebb tide and that's probably adding a knot to my speed but after lunch the tide will turn and I will be fighting incoming tide.

As a result I expect my speed to drop as much as two knots and my ETA which now calculates to take me to Shelter Island by dark will change and I will find myself stopping along the way and finishing the trip tomorrow.

By mid-day, conditions changed and I could see that if I continued, I'd arrive at the river mouth today, but just after the flood tide and I'd encounter currents that this boat cannot overcome, so I diverted into Gibsons and tied up at the marina for the night.


 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.
Vernon Howard

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Tuesday May 15th 2018

At seven, I backed out of the slip and motored out through Shoal Channel, then turned south on a 138 degree course for the river mouth.  There was no wind and again, I was motoring.

I arrived early and  even before I got to the river itself, I found the current was running at least four knots against me.  I found huge rips of turbulent water off the north arm as the fast moving fresh river water joined with the saltwater and I encountered logs, debris and entire trees with roots flushed down the river and into the sea by the spring floods upstream.


I anchored on the delta near the entrance to wait for the tide to turn and had a nap.  From time to time debris bounced off the hull.

Around two, I woke up and got underway.  I had expected the current to drop to zero or near zero starting about then as the scheduled tide supposedly rushed in but the tide never did overpower the spring flow and I was lucky to exceed three knots against the current, even at 3,000 RPM.  I raised sail to assist for a while and that helped, but all in all, this was not an enjoyable trip.

I arrived at six and tied up at Shelter Island Marina next to the Travelift to wait until my lift time at eight in the morning. 

I had supper in Tugboat Annie's pub and laid down for a nap.  Before long, my phone rang and I met Colin at the top of the ramp.  We chatted and I went back to bed.

I had asked if the patties are handmade or packaged.  I was told handmade, but does this look like a handmade patty or a mechanically deboned beef pressed patty?

Yup.  That's beer and that's beef.  I'm seeing how it works for me.

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
Nothing I've ever done has given me more joys and rewards than being a father to my children.
Bill Cosby

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Wednesday May 16th 2018

Today Sunny. Wind becoming east 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. High 29. UV index 8 or very high.
Tonight A few clouds. Increasing cloudiness overnight. Wind east 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low 10.

At eight, the lift operator arrived and said that he had a fish boat to lift first if that was okay and I said, sure. After that, out came Just Do It! After a quick pressure wash, we went down the long alley to the Sceptre shack and my boat was deposited right next to it.


Colin had given me a number for a friend here who would help me with the stern tube, so I phoned and shortly, Barry showed up below the boat. He is a take charge sort and although he was just to help with tools and supplies, pretty soon he was doing much of the work.

We cut off the rubber hiding the seeping fitting and soon discovered the problem was not structural and merely poor sealer application at the factory.  It took us an hour and we were done.


I was feeling poorly again and had a long nap, then wandered down to Tugboat Annie's Pub for supper.  Then I returned to the boat, watched some video and found I was shivering uncontrollably, but not feeling cold.  I wrapped myself up and went to sleep for the night.  During the night, I had some pains that I imagine  came as close to angina as anything I have experienced, so I chewed an aspirin and and went back to sleep. 

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.
Tony Robbins

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Thursday May 17th 2018

Today Periods of rain. Amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h gusting to 40 this afternoon. High 13.
Tonight Periods of rain ending near midnight then cloudy. Wind northeast 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light near midnight. Low 6.

I woke up at 0735 and I'm still here. 

I'm living up on stilts in a sailboat here on the hard at Shelter Island.  That was never on my list of must-dos.

It was cool and overcast and I ran the furnace when I got up. I'm not feeling great, but went out and met the fellow, Vaughn, that Cooper sent over to touch up the bottom.

He got started then Colin called and sent me on a short errand. When I returned, I learned that Vaughn had fallen off the scaffold and hurt his backside. He looked okay, but we sent him off to seek attention. Now nothing is happening.

I had a nap and wandered to the marina shop where I ate the worst pizza  ever for lunch and returned to the  boat.

By then I was feeling awful again (not due to the pizza) and returned to my perch to nap. I woke up feeling better again and walked around. If I'm feeling better, I might even get to like it here, but it is definitely not near the top of my list of vacation spots.

The afternoons here have been pleasant.  It seems that after lunch the place comes alive. After my nap, I felt better and wandered down to the store.  It was closed. Four-thirty already.  Time flies.  I walked around to Tugboat Annie's, had two lagers and a Cobb Salad and returned to the boat, chatting with the workers and owners along the way.  You can never go wrong admiring a person's boat.

I'm feeling much better. Up and down, but at the moment I'm up.  No aches. No headache. Clear vision.

 Yesterday's post

 Quote of the Day
Isolation is a way to know ourselves.
Franz Kafka

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Friday May 18th 2018

Long weekend is coming up and I'll be trapped her if I don't splash this afternoon.  I begged a lift and was promised a launch by closing.  Maybe.

Nobody has shown up to do the bottom painting so I was it.  Barry had the paint and brushes and a suit, so I got to work.  The paint is supposed to dry for a day before being wetted, but I have seen that nobody worries about that and went ahead.

Colin had talked about touching up along the waterline and I had not understood seeing as there was scum there and chipping, but decided to paint it under at the last minute.  It worked out okay.  This paint is ablative, i.e. designed to slew off the outer skin to lose any marine growth that tries to attach,  It is more if a whitewash than a paint.  When I was done, the job looked good.  Would the slings rub it off?  We'll see. It dried very quickly.

The Travelift showed up and took the boat to the water and launched.  I checked for leaks and found none, moved to another dock and checked again.  I could see the shaft seal leaks when the shaft turns but stops when the shaft stops.  The leak was minor.  Oh, well.  Maybe it will settle in and stop leaking. At any rate, I'm not going back.

I joined Barry for a beer and  then headed downriver, making ten knots while dodging debris and fighting standing waves.  As I proceeded, I was surprised to notice steam from the exhaust. Steam is a sign of less than ideal engine cooling. This was new, but things were running fine. Just as I exited the delta, however, an alarm went off.  I checked high and low and found it was an overheating alarm.  I checked for cooling water in the exhaust and there was none, so I shut down the engine and raised sail.

I happened to be far from any real refuge, subject to strong currents, and it was about six by then.  I had roughly three hours until dark.  The wind did not favour making Whaler Bay, my preferred destination for the night.  I could make Porlier, but did not want to venture though under sail alone and there is no refuge on the Strait side, so I decided to try for Whaler Bay at Active Pass and take my chances. it was a bit of a Hail Mary.

At first I was making six knots close-hauled and prospects looked good for making Galiano and maybe even Whaler Bay if the wind shifted as predicted, but my current course took me to the bare steep shores of Galiano.  In case I did not make the bay,  I scanned the charts for a ledge to anchor if things did not change and figured it would work out.

Then the wind dropped and soon I was drifting along at a knot of two.  I went below and began working on the cooling pump, popping up now and then to scan for hazards.   I was miles from anywhere, hardly moving, and there were no boats anywhere nearby or on a course to intercept.  Hitting a log at that speed would be harmless.

Time passes quickly when distracted, and after a while I felt a strong urge to look around again, and climbed up the open companionway.  Right ahead, a tug was pulling a barge right in front of me and if I continued as I was, within minutes, I would have hit the tow cable, stopped dead, then been hit by the barge. Wow!

The tug seemed totally unaware of me and maybe the captain was distracted, too.  Anyhow, I did a quick 360 and passed behind the barge, then continued west.  At my rate of progress, if I did not become becalmed, I was likely to arrive at shore right around dark.  I have good plotters and instruments that show my position accurately in relation to contours, hazards, and depths so I could anchor even in  the dark, but it is better to be able to see land and rocks.

Just as time passes fast when distracted, when making the last mile at two or three knots and racing nightfall, time passes at a glacial rate.  That last mile took forever.  As I closed in on shore, the wind became gusty and twisty. It was blowing offshore as i had hoped and that was a good thing.  I don't like to anchor in an open sea off a lee shore.  If  drag, I'd rather drag out to sea than onto the shore.

When I finally arrived at ten metres depth, I dropped the hook and it grabbed right a way.  That was good, seeing as I had no engine to test the holding and set the anchor or motor around looking for a better spot.  I let out almost two hundred feet of rode to be sure of a a strong hold, set the drag alarm and went to to bed.  I was in an cellular shadow. No phone. No Internet.

 Quote of the Day
The most important thing in life is to stop saying 'I wish' and start saying 'I will.' Consider nothing impossible, then treat possibilities as probabilities.
Charles Dickens

 Yesterday's post

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 

Saturday May 19th 2018

The morning turned out to be overcast and when I got up, it was raining lightly. I started the engine, figuring I'd run it until the overheat alarm came on, allowing me to raise the anchor without having to pull up 200 feet of wet chain and heavy rope by hand.  With luck, I might also make a few miles under engine, before the alarm started up. The sea was dead calm. 

I had decided by then I was on my way to Sidney.  Active Pass would turn soon and I wanted to be there while the current was going my way.  Would I have engine or have sail through -- or push with the dinghy?  The alarm had not gone off yet and I noticed water again coming from  the exhaust.  Maybe I had fixed the pump.  It had been quite gummed up with waxy grease and I had cleaned it well.

Once through  the Pass, I was again free of worry.  The engine performed normally. I now had the day to spend as I pleased, so I called Bruce and diverted to Ganges.  He had a dance thing happening, but we met for coffee first and then later for supper.  In the meantime, I bought groceries and wandered through the famous Saturday market.

 Quote of the Day
The most important thing in life is to stop saying 'I wish' and start saying 'I will.'
Consider nothing impossible, then treat possibilities as probabilities.
Charles Dickens

 Yesterday's post

<< Previous Page    |     Top    |    End     |    Next Page >>

Top | End | Home | Current Diary Page | Selected Beekeeping Topics | Search
 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 
Honey Bee World Forum | Contact me 


Search for anything, anywhere in

Note: if the results come out blank, turn off your ad blocker temporarily


Local radar and satellite weather charts

Three Hills Area Weather Forecast
Intellicast | Yahoo | Weather Channel
Webcams  | Banff  | Banff | Sunshine Village | Calgary
Satellite Pictures 1
Canadian temperatures are in degrees Celsius

allen's Computer Security Page
A collection of helpful ideas and links
Free Online Virus Scans
 Panda | Trend Micro
Free Online Security Check

Convert Currency | Convert Measurements
Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit >

   "If I make a living off it, that's great -- but I come from a culture where you're valued
not so much by what you acquire but by what you give away,"
-- Larry Wall (the inventor of Perl)
Please report any problems or errors to Allen Dick
© allen dick 1999-2020. Permission granted to copy in context for non-commercial purposes, and with full attribution.